Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back in the saddle

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I decided after taking my 2023 buck with my compound, it was time to slow down and pick up the longbow again after taking a 3 year break from hunting with it. I tuned and fletched a fresh batch of arrows a few days ago, and got around to shooting them beyond 10 yards today. I’ve kept up with my form the past few years despite hunting with the compound, but I was still a little rusty to start. By the end of the day I was very comfortable shooting 20 yards and in, and ended the day with doing a quiver dump at 27-28 yards. Not the worlds greatest group, but I feel it’s a reasonable start. These arrows I made up are substantially lighter than I anticipated so I’m still working to compensate for that. After another couple weeks of practice (maybe more) I’ll be out chasing slick heads with a stick once again.
IMG_4250.jpeg

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I’ve shot a few hundred arrows it feels like since I started this thread. Feeling pretty confident. Shot the course today, varying yardages between 20 and 30, and snuck a few sub 15 yarders in there too. I have a property that has 1 mature doe, a handful of decent bucks and a pile of button bucks showing up. As far as I’m concerned, a button buck needs to go, so I may try and slip in tonight. Stand sets up perfect for a 15 or less yard shot. Wind is okay for it, we’ll see.
IMG_4284.jpeg
IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg