Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backpack Capacity?

I went shopping for a slightly larger backpack, today. 🤔 As I was looking online, I was trying to find the internal dimensions. You know, like 16" x 20", etc. and all I could find was 50L, 60L, etc. :rolleyes: That's water capacity! 🚫 I have no intentions of packing around 50 liters of water. Nutz!

I had to physically go to a local sporting goods store with a tape measure, to find what I needed in size/capacity. :mad:

When did they start advertising backpacks by the Liter?

Last edited:

Cogz

Cogz
TX
I went shopping for a slightly larger backpack, today. 🤔 As I was looking online, I was trying to find the internal dimensions. You know, like 16" x 20", etc. and all I could find was 50L, 60L, etc. :rolleyes: That's water capacity! 🚫 I have no intentions of packing around a 50 liters of water. Nutz!

I had to physically go to a local sporting goods store with a tape measure, to find what I needed in size/capacity. :mad:

When did they start advertising backpacks by the Liter?
Usually they have the dimensions in the specs/features/description. But it’s a volume measurement. A 50L pack is usually 20x12x11 ish. 75L maybe 24x12x12 ish maybe a little bigger.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Usually they have the dimensions in the specs/features/description. But it’s a volume measurement. A 50L pack is usually 20x12x11 ish. 75L maybe 24x12x12 ish maybe a little bigger.
I would've thought the same thing, but there were no specs or descriptions, on the Cabelas page. :rolleyes:

As it turns out, I went to a Dunham's Sports and found one that suited my needs for capacity. Oddly enough it was labeled as a 50L pack, but I put a tape measure to it to be certain. :) It has all the molley loops, straps and capacity and then some. I needed something internally larger for my Mission platform and molle loops for attaching climbing sticks. 💯
Cruzr XC 6.jpg

Reactions: hickslawns and Cogz

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Ummm liters as a unit of volume have been in backpacks for hiking for at least the last two decades. It's slid over to hunting as things have went more tactical. Cubic inches are slightly more common in smaller daypack style bags but liters aren't uncommon.

Soooo...you traded the weight of your stand for a heavier pack? From my seat it looks like a dog cahsing it's tail.
The military molle pack that I was using would barely contain my Mission platform. I got tired of fighting it, trying to stuff it into the pack each time. I doubt if there was more than a pound difference in the actual weights of the packs. 🤔

On another note of "chasing my tail".... I've had plenty of time on my hands this spring/summer and I've tried a lot of different climbing methods. Some I liked, some I hated and others were more hassle than they were worth. I was enjoying the "one-stick" method, but all the time on the ground wrapping up the rope, pull-down string, putting away the devices used to rappel, etc. took the fun out of rappelling. 🙄

I decided to just go back to what I was using last year and be happy. :cool: It was an educational period and I had fun with it. In an attempt to carry less weight, I was trading time spent messing around with all the gear, instead of walking out of the woods with a few extra pounds. 👎 The weight is a non-issue, when I can keep the climbing method simple and spend the time either hunting or getting out of the woods. 💯

Reactions: Sgt Fury