Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bacon

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have 45lbs of bacon in cure for the next week or longer and then onto smoke and slicing.

2 different cures (both EQ style cure)

Cowen
2% salt
0.25% cure 1
1.25% pepper
4% brown sugar

"British"
2% salt
0.25% cure 1
50 g british bacon seasoning blend per side
200g maple sugar per side

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I let them sit in cure for a week under refrigerator temps, flipping the bags every day. Then I rinsed them off.

You could let them air dry in the fridge to absorb smoke better but i didn't (lack of time).

I then stacked them on my grill with an amazen maze pellet maze to cold smoke them. My pellets are old so i microwave then to dry them out and then I'll get 8ish hours of smoke out of one fill.

I did 3 fills trying to get a good bit of smoke in them. Ideally you could let them sit between smokes and use different woods for different flavors but I'm not that fancy.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I was rushing and had some issues. I normally burn all the charcoal out of my grill and put the maze on the very bottom. I didn't, so i didn't which caused the maze to be too close to the bacon which even the little heat put off by the smoldering pellets was enough to melt some fat and cause a grease fire which cost me a half side of bacon.

IMG_20240109_131012.jpg

Reactions: Big_Holla

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I let them sit in cure for a week under refrigerator temps, flipping the bags every day. Then I rinsed them off.

You could let them air dry in the fridge to absorb smoke better but i didn't (lack of time).

I then stacked them on my grill with an amazen maze pellet maze to cold smoke them. My pellets are old so i microwave then to dry them out and then I'll get 8ish hours of smoke out of one fill.

I did 3 fills trying to get a good bit of smoke in them. Ideally you could let them sit between smokes and use different woods for different flavors but I'm not that fancy.
What temp did you smoke them at and for how long

Buckmaster

Portage
I’ve used the store bought bacon mixes in the past; followed the recipe….but always too salty. I’ve been mixing my own lately and soak in water overnight after cure and before smoke.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What temp did you smoke them at and for how long
Cold smoke - under 45 degrees is what i do it at
I’ve used the store bought bacon mixes in the past; followed the recipe….but always too salty. I’ve been mixing my own lately and soak in water overnight after cure and before smoke.
Benefit to EQ curing, you can control the salt level without soaking. It's much more repeatable and controlled.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just prepped my second pork belly cure for bacon yesterday. After a week my neighbor and I will be slicing and packing next weekend. Only thing I did different this time was one half I added a 1/2 cup of bourbon. Next Friday I’ll rinse and dry and add a shot and more brown sugar to each side to let permeate another night or two before smoking (apple/hickory)to internal temp of 150-160 then pull let cool and slice and vacuum pack.

Per each 5 lb of pork belly:
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup Maple syrup
2 tbsp Course black pepper
1 teas Curing salt
1/2 cup of bourbon

You can add 1/4-1 cup bourbon 😎🥃
IMG_3144.jpeg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Just prepped my second pork belly cure for bacon yesterday. After a week my neighbor and I will be slicing and packing next weekend. Only thing I did different this time was one half I added a 1/2 cup of bourbon. Next Friday I’ll rinse and dry and add a shot and more brown sugar to each side to let permeate another night or two before smoking (apple/hickory)to internal temp of 150-160 then pull let cool and slice and vacuum pack.

Per each 5 lb of pork belly:
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup Maple syrup
2 tbsp Course black pepper
1 teas Curing salt
1/2 cup of bourbon

You can add 1/4-1 cup bourbon 😎🥃
If you can cold smoke, try that next winter, game changer in quality of bacon imo

Have you done bourbon flavor before?

Reactions: finelyshedded

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My neighbor and I rinsed our pork belly slabs thoroughly yesterday and patted dry and returned to fridge till this morning. I added another shot of BT to both sides of bigger slab and rubbed down both with plenty of brown sugar and returned to the fridge for an hour or so. We both put the slabs on his Traeger at 11am till about an hour ago bringing the internal temp up to 155ish. They are in his garage fridge till about 4 and I’ll head over in about 20 minutes to start slicing then I’ll bring home mine to vacuum pack and put into freezer.
I got a pkg out of freezer from 3/9 batch early this morning and fried up a mess for breakfast and it was heavenly.

Here are slabs after prepping this morning with brown sugar and bourbon(just the big boy).

IMG_3219.jpeg
IMG_3215.jpeg
IMG_3221.jpeg
IMG_3222.jpeg