Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bacon

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another round of PB bacon has begun. 1/2 cup of my infinity bottle in one and 1/2 cup of AA 10* in the other. Dang it smelled good in those bags. Had to split up bigger half to fit in baggies. Lol

Flip each day for a week then rinse off good and add more brown sugar and a shot of brown juice to sit overnight then slicing next weekend sometime.😎🥃

IMG_3833.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Whelp, rinsed off good and patted dry this morning then mixed up a concoction of 1 cup AA bourbon and 1 cup brown sugar then brushed all four 1/4 slabs with it and now have them resting uncovered on cookie sheet in fridge till tomorrow late morning smoke. Smoking to 150-155 degree IT then letting cool down enough to put into fridge till mid morning Monday. I’ll put in freezer for an hour or so then slice up and vacuum seal.
This is fun and rewarding and most of all DELICIOUS but with slabs selling for $36-$45 range at Costco it’s not much of a money saver after you figure in the additives one chooses and the supplies to pack.

IMG_3904.jpeg

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
Yes, if you are making your own bacon, sausage, etc. in an attempt to save money, forget it. Hell, it costs more if you include the time it takes. I submit that it is my experience and firm belief that it is very difficult to get better sausages and bacon than you can make yourself for any price. Furthermore, you know EXACTLY what is in them when you make them yourself. Avoiding preservatives and chemical food additives that you cannot pronounce will add years to your life.

Buckmaster

Portage
I threw out my Sausage Maker cure last week. Forever going EQ. I’ve done both but we don’t like the heavy salt taste with store bought mixes. I’ve got 2 slabs from Sam’s awaiting my future efforts in the freezer. I’ve been cold smoking lately.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just came off neighbors Trag with Apple pellets rolling smoke for 4.5 hours at 175 till IT hit 150. Going to let cool down then put in fridge till late morning tomorrow then into freezer for 1 hour or so before slicing around noon. Dang these caramelized slabs smell heavenly.

IMG_3911.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sliced up wonderfully after over 17 hours in fridge and 30 minutes in freezer. I got 9 individual 1 pound pkgs plus a pound of scraps from the end butts that wouldn’t slice. I couldn’t help myself in frying the scraps up in the cast iron and snacking on it for lunch. Those who’ve never had bourbon bacon I feel for ya……😎👍🏻

It’s caramelized goodness with unique flavor.

IMG_3919.jpeg
IMG_3920.jpeg
IMG_3924.jpeg