Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bad day

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Got home from work and met at the door by the Son of a very good friend of mine.... Seems George had a stroke yesterday .... His son in-law found him on the kitchen floor yesterday around 2 in the afternoon..... I lost my Dad when I was 25 and George was my surrigate since 1990 when I moved into my current house.... He was my neighbor when I moved in... Came right over and made himself at home lol.... We hit it off right off he bat and and hunted, fished and worked on lawn mowers lol... He'd do he tinkering to get them running good and I'd do the sprucing up with the painting and such..... He couldn't paint with a brush well alone with a spray gun lol..... He purchased his wifes family homestead when he retired and fixed it up with a lot of help from friends and it was back to a working farm of 110 acres..... He's just leased he rights for gas and got a nice chunk of change doing it and purchased his first new vehicle since 1952... A 2011 Ford F-150 extened cab 4X4.... Saw him Saturday in it and he looked like a kid at Christmas..... Now he's fighting for his life with no right side control or any speech and I feel like I've lost another Dad.... Man don't know if I can go through this again guy's.... My heart is breaking as I'm typing this and he was a big part of my life for the last 21 years and I'm not ready to say good by... I just got back from the Hospital and have a bad feeling that's going be the last time I'm able to say anything to him.... Sorry for rambling but it's tuff.... I lost my good friend and neighbor last spring and now this... Fuggin life ain't fair...... Good guys should last a lot longer and the others should take their place.....

rrr

Sorry to hear it J.

Sure does put things into perspective. I have been in a stretch of busy and bad days, fighting a cold etc...but then again that's just bitchin. Your story and then I am closely drawn to the thoughts of my community at home, a girl a year ahead me in school just lost a long battle with cancer..22...and a best friend here had a friend get killed in a car accident this week...21...

Some things you just don't understand.

Carpe Diem.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Sorry to hear this. It always seems when things are just clicking along life somehow kicks you in the balls. I guess it just makes the good days better, try and have a positive outlook. I got some shit going on myself and all you can do is try and look at all the good things around you and have faith everything happens for a reason. Not easy to do I know, I told God earlier tonight I was going to kick his ass.

Diablo54

Outside
Sorry to hear that J. It's sad how quickly things can change.

Ive had it happen way to many times to me. The things that you do that don't seem like much can be alot in the end.

My great grandfather past away this fall and i didn't shed a tear. I don't know why. It bugs the hell out of me that i didn't. He was a great guy but we knew it had been coming for several months and i guess i was just prepared for it. Durring my last couple of visits he would sit in his chair and say nothing. He wouldnt talk much if you asked him a question he would only mumble. Buteverytime i visited you could bet he would ask me one question. "have you been hunting lately?". I would tell him a story from a past hunt and he would sit there and smile away no matter how sick he felt.

It amazes me how a simple moment can mean so much.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sorry to hear this J. Life is a cruel bitch... Just be there for him and make the best of it. And we should all cherish more the time we have, and the time we have with others.

rrr

Not easy to do I know, I told God earlier tonight I was going to kick his ass.

The Bible says that Daniel wrestled with the Lord all the time. I'm the same way. I get so frustrated and I find myself taking a long walk (or preferably in a stand) yelling at God and telling him how dumb he is...and he listens...always

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not much I can say to make you feel better. I am sorry to hear about it though. Sounds like one heckuva guy. My prayers have been sent.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
J,
I have had dealings with strokes. Very personal dealings.
I am very sorry you have to deal with this.Remember this though. Just because someone can't speak or express them selfs after the stroke doesn't mean they can't hear you and process the information. They can hear and understand just fine in most cases. They just can't mechanically speak. Strokes are very cruel. They trap a person inside this shell.
hard to say more. call if you need me

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sorry Brother.

”May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope” Romans 15.13

Beentown

Buckmaster

Portage
But everytime i visited you could bet he would ask me one question. "have you been hunting lately?". I would tell him a story from a past hunt and he would sit there and smile away no matter how sick he felt.

He was living his final moments and a lifetime of memories through you.
You're more special than you imagine.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No change today, they did another MRI and no results yet.... Hopingthey transfer him to a facility here in Salem, least I can go visit him more than where he is an hour away.... CJ I think you're spot on what you said..... He probably understands everything just can't respond too it..... I'll keep at him just like we did drinking coffee every friday morning.....