Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baiting

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I know some do and some don't. I normally have close to a dozen stands up in my areas. I bait two and the rest are travel ares. The spots I keep baited are stocked from now until the end of the season.

Its about time to start gathering apples. Last year was a record year, my son and I went through almost 3 tons. If old connie saw my bait piles he would have a fugging heart attack.

Who baits, why and why not???

Last edited:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Old Swoonie, the Master Baiter. :D

I bait two of 20+ stand sites. Got nothing against it. I do it mostly for the pictures, but I'll stick one with it's nose in a pile of golden acorns and not feel bad about it...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Before last springs mineral block I had never put any kind of attractant/bait out. I had always just hunted travel routes and wished and hoped something good would come along.

Ah but the winds of change are a blowin and this year I will give it a little more of a try. I have put out some minerals on a couple travel routes just to get the deer to slow down and maybe make some return visits. I am also going to put out a few apples since we have corn and beans all over the fields around here and they need some variety to bring them in. I am also going to try a home-brew version of the C'mere Deer powder and see if that does any good.

Best of luck everybody and I hope to see some BBD here soon :D

TRAD FOOL

N E Ohio
I know some do and some don't. I normally have close to a dozen stands up in my areas. I bait two and the rest are travel ares. The spots I keep baited are stocked from now until the end of the season.

Its about time to start gathering apples. Last year was a record year, my son and I went through almost 3 tons. If old connie saw my bait piles he would have a fugging heart attack.

Who baits, why and why not???

I bait Randy :smiley_babe:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I don't bait. Not saying I wouldn't saying I don't. More out of lack of time and bait more than lack of likeness to baiting.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
At my dad's property in Adams county I have salt/mineral blocks out. Will be puttin some apples out but because I'm not there weekly it's kind of a moot point. And the fact that there are cornfields very close to his woods, using any other kind of food is a waste of time until after the harvest. At least that's what I'm thinkin, correct me if I'm wrong.

At the spot I hunt in Clermont County, a couple of other guys hunt there also and have been putting out corn in the same spot for years. I contribute to the corn and the guy who lives right up the road puts it out every nite. Brings 'em in on a regular basis, but not till sundown or after. I hunt other parts of the property to catch 'em moving. Gonna put out some apples in a different area as an experiment (my apple tree is bearing pretty good this year).

I'm seeing bait as a tool, but not a necessity. But if feed and minerals and snacky apples are good for the deer, I see no reason not to use 'em.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
i do in attempt to get deer to stop in front of my cameras in the summer and fall. i will put some corn out in the winter during late bow season if i still have my tag.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
kinda partial to mixing corn with deercane gel myself, put it within about 15 yards of one of my stands. I am trying one of those acorn rage droppin blocks, put it out a couple weeks ago, will keep ya posted about the results.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I enjoy watching all of the other animals come to the bait as well as the deer. I have had foxes stalk in on birds, owls go after mice, and hawks swoop in on doves. Yotes also seem partial to checking out a baitpile.