Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Got our first win last nite with a score of 16-6. Kinda lost the excitement after the assistant coach from the other team accused my son (remind you he turned 8 in March) of pointing his bat in his catcher's face, not once but twice. I was in a position that if he done it I would probably have seen it and when I asked him about it he told me he didn't and really didnt know what I was talking about. If he did Im sure it was not done with any "ill will". Wished Jesse was there, I'd had him whip his ass. lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Got our first win last nite with a score of 16-6. Kinda lost the excitement after the assistant coach from the other team accused my son (remind you he turned 8 in March) of pointing his bat in his catcher's face, not once but twice. I was in a position that if he done it I would probably have seen it and when I asked him about it he told me he didn't and really didnt know what I was talking about. If he did Im sure it was not done with any "ill will". Wished Jesse was there, I'd had him whip his ass. lmao

Sorry I missed this earlier... Congratulations on the win!

I have just made the final preparations. We are less than an hour from our baptism of fire. My boys are as ready as they will ever be. They have trained hard, and I am certain they will do their very best - at least as long as their rather short attention spans will allow. I can't imagine how Ike felt on June 5.

Into the Dragon's fire we go! BTW, the dragon is also known as Buck's Tire Service.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry I missed this earlier... Congratulations on the win!

I have just made the final preparations. We are less than an hour from our baptism of fire. My boys are as ready as they will ever be. They have trained hard, and I am certain they will do their very best - at least as long as their rather short attention spans will allow. I can't imagine how Ike felt on June 5.

Into the Dragon's fire we go! BTW, the dragon is also known as Buck's Tire Service.

lmao

Good luck to you and your young team!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The dragon has been slain! 8-4. Our boys looked great tonight. Really, they looked much better than the score reflected. I haven't a clue what will happen if we ever play a team that can hit, I'd say we'll be screwed. Our boys look like pros in the box compared to the opposition tonight. We have really rode their butts about propert stance and form, and I think it makes a difference. Our fielding is still really weak, and our outfield is a waste of time. If we want to win we may just have to send our SS and 2nd basemen out to get the ball regardless of how close to the fence it is. :)

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Keep up the good work with the youths fellas!

Our HS season came to a close a few days ago. We lost in the sectionals and this marks the worst season in 12 years. I really can't put my finger on it other than we just never gelled. Things never came together. We got hot at the end, but it just wasn't enough. All I can really say is that we did improve throughout the season. We had our banquet last night and I handed out first year letters to 4 freshman and 2 sophomores. Those 6 kids got a lot of playing time this year and 3 of them were everyday starters. So, with so many young players involved I should have expected to take lumps. On the flipside, the future is bright at Indian Creek. All of these kids will be playing either legion ball or for our summer colt team. Hopefully they develop even more over the summer.

Good luck the rest of the way this year fellas. My daughter has a TBall game tonight, Klay plays tomorrow, and all 3 kids play Saturday. busy week!

Schu72

Streetsboro
Quick b-ball question. If a pitch hits the dirt and then hits the batter do they still get to advance to first base? This happened the other night in my sons' game. I was kind of shocked.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Congrats on the win Brock. Sounds like your going to be a lot happier next season Mike, still gotta love the way they finished the second half of season.
We won our 3rd straight last nite putting us at 3-2. Our boys are hitting better and fielding better every game, they seem to have a better idea of what to do with the ball when its hit to them. Were not the best team in the league but far from the worst.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congrats on the win Brock. Sounds like your going to be a lot happier next season Mike, still gotta love the way they finished the second half of season.
We won our 3rd straight last nite putting us at 3-2. Our boys are hitting better and fielding better every game, they seem to have a better idea of what to do with the ball when its hit to them. Were not the best team in the league but far from the worst.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sitting at the ball field scouting the two new teams in the league. We are defending our 2011 Mid-Ohio Valley Adult Baseball League championship this year. The team is essentially the same group, with a couple additions that should make us even better. We play at 6:30 tonight and the excitement is already killing me! Still get butterflies!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sitting at the ball field scouting the two new teams in the league. We are defending our 2011 Mid-Ohio Valley Adult Baseball League championship this year. The team is essentially the same group, with a couple additions that should make us even better. We play at 6:30 tonight and the excitement is already killing me! Still get butterflies!!!

Hell yea, bro... tear it up!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well we didn't do TOO well in starting off the season in the right manner. We lost 8-1 to what I still believe to be the worst team in the league. I've never seen a team (ours) that loses on such bullshit plays. We had one bad inning where the "hits" they had would not have added up to a home runs worth of length. Our pitcher was sawing people off with his curveball, but they were dinking them in the spots where no one was at. It was one of the most frustrating innings of my life. One bad call from the ump cost us two runs, then the infield in and a "throw the bat at the ball" blooper cost us one more. On the other hand, we hit the hell out of the ball, but always hit it at someone. We stranded 9-10 runners which kills. Overall, we played pretty well despite the loss. I went 0-1 with two walks and a foul tip K. The pitcher and catcher from the other team know me entirely TOO well and I didn't see shit to hit. The only good pitch I saw, I hit off the fence about 3' foul. The rest were low and away, or high and inside.

The bad news is the two new teams came to play ball this year and we have our hands full to repeat. I still think we have the most talent top to bottom, and easily have the best pitching staff. We can go 0-12 and still win the tourney, but I'm in this to win the league outright again, then win the tourney. The goal was 9-3, so we still have time to recover...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce the right way, ya know? I hate those days when your team stings the ball, but right at guys and the other team gets cheap hits.
I thought I told you yesterday to hit it where they ain't? Geez... your like my own players... never listen.

Did you guys have to switch to the BBCOR bats or are you still using that Voodoo?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Still using the Voodoo. That think is awesome! My wrists are as fast as they have ever been right now and that bat is the perfect compliment!!! I fully expect to go yard a time or two this year and damn near did in the first at bat on Sunday. We had 3 balls off the fence or to the warning track off the Voodoo, so she's loaded!!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
My boys' team won last night 16-1. They are 3-0. They play again tonight and Thursday. They both continue to hit well, but still have a hard time paying attention on defense. My little guy (turned 7 in March) hit his first legit double last night. He's getting his hips turned and ripping the ball down the third base line. He was very excited.

Buckmaster

Portage
Sounds like everyone is enjoying the season. Our season kicks off this Thursday with game #1. I have ten 6-8 year old girls on my team. They've come a long way in the past 6 weeks of practice.
Hopefully we can make a few trips to the Dairy Queen this summer to reward their wins.