Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Agreed, my wife put together this collage for FB as our youngest starts tball. I remember when cotty's boys were in middle school....dang...

View attachment 126745

Ty has his first kids pitch game tonight. Plan for him is SS for innings 1-2, pitching 3-4, SS for 5-6. Hope the weather holds out.
It was fun tossing the ball around with Ty this past weekend . I can tell he's been working on his infield game and throwing. I was impressed. Good luck tonight!

Reactions: Dustinb80

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
It was fun tossing the ball around with Ty this past weekend . I can tell he's been working on his infield game and throwing. I was impressed. Good luck tonight!

I'll tell him you said that Nate, it was fun to watch him jump in. It's definitely clicking better, just hope he doesn't forget it come game time lol.

We have a long way to go in the aggressive area also, it's there, just needs harnessed and applied at proper timing. He's in a sensitive stage right now at a hard 9yrs old😂

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i should of said more assertive and confident in herself not aggressive. she was playing ss the other day and the second baseman kept taking the throws down from the catcher, shes the coachs daughter and he wouldnt say anything to her so i told savannah if your at short thats your ball shes there to back you up so take control of it and dont let her push you around just because her dads the coach doesnt mean she can do what she wants.
Not to sound like a know it all... But it’s actually pretty common for 2nd Base to take the throws on a steal... especially if it’s a right-handed hitter at the plate. Taking the throw down to second isn’t necessarily the SS’s job these days. Today’s infield play and positioning is much more cerebral and strategic than it was years ago.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@bigten05 I suppose 10U is a little early for “technical infield play” lol... but you get my point. They might as well play today like they’ll be playing in high school.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
@bigten05 I suppose 10U is a little early for “technical infield play” lol... but you get my point. They might as well play today like they’ll be playing in high school.
They aren't aloud to steal until the ball crosses the plate. when they have practiced hes had the shortstop cover but didn't do it in the game actually told savannah it was her job but never corrected his daughter for jumping in front of her.

Reactions: jagermeister

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Really wish that game woulda taken place last night lol. I kicked Ty off the trampoline after he blasted Myles in the face with a ball, and he proceeded to take his frustration out as a stomp to the floor with his left foot inside. Well he could barely put pressure on it immediately after and was limping this AM. Had him try to hop on it, no go, sharp pain in his left heel. This will be fun if it is something more than a sprain🤦‍♂️

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Both Ty (10u) and Myles (8u) fit in rain shortened games last night.

Ty's team won 5-1. He went 1 for 3 (single, hbp, line out to 3rd). Pitched 2 innings for 50 pitches and struck out 7. He played through pain at his choice but is seeing the foot doc. at 9:30am. today. Really hoping just a bruise and he's down for 1-2wks at most, was going to be fun watching him this year.

Myle's team lost, he went 2 for 3 (2 singles) and enjoyed some quiet time out in RF lol.

Johnny44

Both Ty (10u) and Myles (8u) fit in rain shortened games last night.

Ty's team won 5-1. He went 1 for 3 (single, hbp, line out to 3rd). Pitched 2 innings for 50 pitches and struck out 7. He played through pain at his choice but is seeing the foot doc. at 9:30am. today. Really hoping just a bruise and he's down for 1-2wks at most, was going to be fun watching him this year.

Myle's team lost, he went 2 for 3 (2 singles) and enjoyed some quiet time out in RF lol.
2 innings and struck out 7? Bad umpire that made him face more? LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Dustinb80 and 5Cent

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Little update on Klay. His playing time has become pretty limited. He is currently sitting around .220 in the average department and was struggling bad with the breaking balls he was seeing. The guys they plugged in caught fire and that was all the coach needed to see. Klay still gets the occasional pinch run / pinch hit opportunity. He was pissed at first, but has realized that he just needs to work harder this summer to get better and give it another go next year. He was on the verge of saying "screw it" and not going back. It took a lot of heart to heart talks after games to keep him in a positive mood. I'm glad he has reconsidered and decided to go back. He has finally realized he's now a small fish in a big pond. Everyone there is good! No job is safe.
Hopefully he doesn't change his mind again. LOL

This summer he will play in a local collegiate league and see some good arms. Hopefully that gets him back in the groove.

In the meantime, Frederick finished second in the Region 20 standings and have a really good path to winning the region. If they win Region 20, they head to Enid, Oklahoma for the JUCO World Series at the end of May. That'll be a cool road trip! I told him to take it all in, be a great teammate, and enjoy the ride. This could be a once in a lifetime experience.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I brag about Mason all the time and I’m going to again. We have three teams in our league ranked in the top 20 statewide. Mason has pitched to those three teams his last three outings. An article popped up on Facebook tonight regarding his last outing against Jackson. On the first meeting of the two teams we were run ruled in 5, by like 15 runs, with our No. 2 on the mound. They, like the other two, are very good. In those three appearances, Mason has issued a total of five walks, I think, given up zero earned runs, and had 32k’s. He has his last home game of his HS career on Monday. By age, he could be a junior and right now I wish he was! His first appearance in a HS game was as a freshman on varsity, where he threw a complete game shut out. I’d like to see him end it the same way.
Here is an excerpt from the article:
531CB06F-4BE4-488E-98D7-47FE79553653.png

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Little update on Klay. His playing time has become pretty limited. He is currently sitting around .220 in the average department and was struggling bad with the breaking balls he was seeing. The guys they plugged in caught fire and that was all the coach needed to see. Klay still gets the occasional pinch run / pinch hit opportunity. He was pissed at first, but has realized that he just needs to work harder this summer to get better and give it another go next year. He was on the verge of saying "screw it" and not going back. It took a lot of heart to heart talks after games to keep him in a positive mood. I'm glad he has reconsidered and decided to go back. He has finally realized he's now a small fish in a big pond. Everyone there is good! No job is safe.
Hopefully he doesn't change his mind again. LOL

This summer he will play in a local collegiate league and see some good arms. Hopefully that gets him back in the groove.

In the meantime, Frederick finished second in the Region 20 standings and have a really good path to winning the region. If they win Region 20, they head to Enid, Oklahoma for the JUCO World Series at the end of May. That'll be a cool road trip! I told him to take it all in, be a great teammate, and enjoy the ride. This could be a once in a lifetime experience.

Hope he sticks with it and enjoys the ride for as long as he can/wants. Hats off to any college athlete, I was amazed at their schedules to balance sports and academics...tough gig.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Senior night is over. Mason had a huge crowd of friends and family there to support him. It was a wonderful night for a game. Unfortunately, it did not go well. Mason did not perform as we’ve become accustomed. Maybe he was trying too hard due to all the spectators that were there just for him or maybe it’s because he mistakenly went to the gym last night and worked out harder than he should have due to the stress of the day... idk, but he wasn’t himself and we lost. He had friends from Legion ball, landowners we hunt on, grandparents from both sides, cousins, countless local friends, and most impressively, four boys that were seniors when he was a freshman on the varsity team several years ago - one of which is still playing baseball in college. Krista managed to snap a pic of three of the boys after one of them had already slipped off. Those kids were great mentors to him back in the day and I’m very happy they made the effort to be there for him tonight. Still a game or two to go before tournaments start next Monday. Hopefully he will be back to his old self by then and will be able to give the boys from Jackson something to worry about in the first round.
5EA14B7C-6A23-4F5D-A8CA-CB4341362E3D.jpeg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome that he had that much support last night for senior night! Good luck to you guys in the tournament!!

We play St. Clairsville tonight in our conference championship and we play Steubenville next Tuesday in the sectionals. We were 9-4 at one point and then went on a 5 game skid due to awful defense as we were making upward of 6 errors a game. It was absolutely miserable to watch. The previous games we were putting up goose eggs in the error column. Then, we had a 10 day layoff due to covid and then all this damn rain... you could just tell we hadn't been on the field in awhile. Soooooo.... I laid the hammer on them Friday at practice and we played much better Saturday against New Philly (just couldn't get the big hit) and we bounced back last night and finally put together a solid game and now sit at 10-9. Sometimes tough love works. Hopefully the improvement carries over tonight and the rest of the way.

Klay's team won their first playoff game last night against Catonsville in a wild one. They travel to Chesapeake College tomorrow for the region 20 semifinals. They are two wins away from Oklahoma. But, they lost their big hitting firstbaseman to a blown hammy early in teh game and used up three arms in the win. Their work is cut out for them.