Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Basement drain, …what’s this going to cost me?

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Had a blockage in my basement drain. Had it cleared and scoped. They found a collapse in the 70 year old cast iron pipe directly under the foundation. To make matters worse, there is a massive oak tree about 15 feet from the foundation. The guy said the break is about 9 feet down. I have a feeling this is going to sting, just not sure how much. Going to get estimates when I can.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure the standard solution. I have a thought though. Why not jackhammer a hole, drop a sump pump pit in there, and pump it out rather than allowing it to drain?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It’s connected to the stack, shits gotta flow 😁
ATD, Phil! (You did say that. Lol)

Even so. . .they make plugs and caps. It might be cheaper to redo the stack and add a sump pit than digging it all up? (Unless the way I have it visualized in my head is just not picking up what you're putting down.)

Smawgunner2

Athens County
ATD, Phil! (You did say that. Lol)

Even so. . .they make plugs and caps. It might be cheaper to redo the stack and add a sump pit than digging it all up? (Unless the way I have it visualized in my head is just not picking up what you're putting down.)
Like this. The break is under the foundation. In this picture, below the stack, although in my house it’s not near the stack. It’s the main sewer line that drains into the city sewer.
IMG_6006.png

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yeah they talked about some type of lining depending on how bad the break is. I should know more in the next week or so with estimates. There goes our 20th anniversary vacation we were supposed to take. Right down the shitter…literally.
My repair was $8500. They buried schedule 40 and it egged over the years and finally cracked with root intrusion. That was for 20'. Replacing the whole line was going to be 25k. I highly recommend everyone with a sewer lateral to insure it through your homeowners policy!!!!