Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bass Fishing 2016

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Thanks. It was catch & release there at the lake. I would have taken it home to make a sandwich, lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well we had our second tournament of the year, Lake Erie is closed for bass fishing as you can't keep them but you can catch them and release them.... So we had a "paper tournament " you catch them, take a picture of them weigh them and then release them..... The tournament format for this one was morning big fish, afternoon big fish and then overall weight for both periods..... We had a 5.7lb in the morning and a 4.4lb for the afternoon and won morning and overall weight..... But, and there's always a but lol

We hit the first spot and fished it from 7:00-9:00 and left it as we caught a lot of nice small mouth with the big one of 5.7 we went and hit the main lake to see if by chance we could better it, well we spent about 20 minutes drifting and went to move and the motor wouldn't start..... Tried jumping it and nothing.... Battery showed 12 volts, so we figured we lost a cell on the battery or bad starter.... We called a buddy and told him we were broke down but still had the trolling motor and we were at the moment going to put it on the trailer and do some troubleshooting to see what it was.... As we headed too the ramp (which was about 1.5 miles away) we were talking and we were about a half mile or so from where we started and we were on fish.... So we decided to head back were we caught fish as it was closer, and protected from the prevailing wind by the break wall.... By the time we got there we had a hour to kill before the second half of the tournament started, we didn't want to sore mouth any more fish as we felt we had the morning won as no one else had anything close.... So we sat there for a little over an hour, talking about the motor, food, fishing, and the guy parked on the spot we caught the big one on lol.... He was fishing with us as well and hadn't seen us catch any there and was in a bad position to catch anything.... He called is and asked what we were doing just sitting there, and we told him we were broke and conserving the trolling motor batteries lol....
He said to come on over as he had a meter and we could check the shape of the battery.... We did and it showed just shy of 12v, enough to be able to crank the motor, but we could hear the starter gear engage the flywheel and that was it....
Well Mike said just fish here next to me as there's not much action here.... So we backed off about 100' and sat there waiting for 11:00, he just was lookin at us shaking his head lol, at 11:00 we picked up the rods and started casting..... My buddy Shawn casted one about 5' from the back of his boat and stuck a nice smallie that weighed 4.4lbs..... Mike was catching sheep head, catfish and some smaller bass, he didn't stick around too much longer and we just kept catching decent fish just nothing to help out.....
The forecast had said thunderstorms in the afternoon and we kept checking the radar and it showed everything SW of us.... At 1:15 the black clouds were over the Ashtabula River and lightning was flashing.... Temps had dropped off a lot and the fishing really picked up but nothing over 4lbs....
Well the wind picked up and looking at the main lake we weren't going that route on electric only so we pulled out the phone and called our buddy for a tow.... We were in an area inside a break wall referred as a slip, no wind to speak of and the water was flat and if you were going to be somewhere this was the place too be lol....
Greg and Kendal showed up and we tied off and away we went.... Lake was at 2' waves and all went well with only two waves over the bow, self induced by Shawn sitting on the front deck lol... He took a ball breaker literally too the balls lol, knocked the wind out his sails and had him rolling on the deck lol.... We made it safely too the ramp and the storm had blown over by then....
Greg and Kendal were heading back out as there was 45 minutes left of the tournament.... We told them to head back to where they picked us up as the fish were on fire in there.... They hadn't caught anything close to helping them out up too that point.... They blasted off and hit that spot....
In the meantime, most of the boats were on the trailer before the storm hit as they were the "smart ones" lol... We got Shawn's boat on the trailer and looked over the motor and actually tried someone else's battery with no luck.... Starter bad....
Well the tournament ended and and when the dust settled, we had won the morning, and overall weight.... Greg and Kendal went back to the spot they found us, dropped the trolling motor and 3 casts later Greg caught a 6.3lb small mouth... They took the afternoon part of the tournament and I couldn't of been happier for them.... That my friends is karma!!!! They stopped what they were doing, too help someone out in need and were rewarded for it.....
Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to pass along a great day we had, regardless of how the boat acted lol.....

https://www.facebook.com/greg.hromiko/posts/10209442732202201

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like a fun day even being broke down.
I always say Karma is great to those that help a person in need and a bitch to the assholes.lol

Pretty much how the day went, Shawn was a little upset but by the end of the day we laughed about it while cashing a check that'll pay for the starter, battery and some cold beer while swapping it out lol... Shop here in town will rebuild it for 50.00 so all is good....

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Went on a trip to dale hollow last weekend with some buddies. We didn't catch a whole lot but all the fish we caught were good sized. It's a great lake! We just went at a bad time. The water temp was 78 and they got 3 inches of rain haha.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice looking fish Jake... You need to do a Erie trip you won't be disappointed....
Glad you guys had a good time...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I haven't even had a chance to wet a line yet. Very unlike me. Usually I've been out a lot at this point in the year. So dang busy with the boys and their baseball games.
Hoping to get out for the first time this year on Friday.

Nice looking fish to all you guys. Looks like some great times.

Big Weff

Athens
In addition to Jake's pics...uploadfromtaptalk1464815356881.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464815365423.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464815415088.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464815438716.jpgall of the rest of my fish I'm shirtless and I'm not trying to punish anybody with those pics haha