Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Be careful

Schu72

Streetsboro
Sounds a little iffy to me as well. I assume they will do a ballistics check to see if it was really his gun and what the angle of entry was.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No way a muzzleloader could shoot that far and still have the velocity to go through someones head, this is hard for me to believe

Somebody gets what I am saying. Terminal velocty would have have happened a long time before a mile and half. Going to do the numbers.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Did some quick guesstimates and it could kill. It is still unlikely but it only takes a force of 60 ft. lbs. to start hitting potentially fatal numbers. A standard 30-06 round is 30 pounds of force when hitting within its terminal velocity and the muzzy round could have been twice as heavy (mass) than the -06 round. The mile and a half may be an exagerration. If so it may have had more speed/force than if it were just at terminal velocity speeds.

Crazy either way.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity of an object falling straight down. Like a bullet fired perfectly straight up. This bullet was moving laterally. Somewhere around 30 degrees gets you the maximum distance.

I found a chart that claims a FP 240 grain .44 mag bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1760 fps will travel 2500 yards and hit the ground going 350 fps. A 240 grain bullet going 350fps generates about 65 ft/lbs. Lots of variables, some we don't know, like if there is a difference in elevation, exactly what bullet and what velocity. So I believe a ML bullet could make it 1.5 miles.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/DomnaAntoniadis.shtml