Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been busy in the shop

Jamie

Ohio
wooden bow builder wears many hats, uses many tools. from chainsaw to spray gun to sewing needles and a plethora of others in between. sewing ain't my strong suite, but, by necessity, I've learned to do it adequately. don't much like it though. after going to all this trouble, crappy looking leather handle is out of the question. has been a long haul for me to get this part down, but I'm not willing to settle for lousy finish work.

I use 2oz purse leather because it's stretchy enough to be made to fit around the contours of a bulbous handle. cut out the leather, skive the edges on what will be the top and bottom of the handle. apply contact cement to both surfaces. attach the leather to the handle, tending to the edges to make sure they are straight and the skived edges are glued down properly.
IMG_0572.JPGIMG_0573.JPGIMG_0574.JPGskived edge.jpg

once glued down, the dressed look of the skived edge is a very clean look. much better than the cut edge of the leather, which is a much lighter brown color than the outside.

Jamie

Ohio
now that the leather is attached, I trim the excess on the back of the handle so the two edges mate cleanly. punch the holes to stitch it together and start sewing. since the whole wrap is glued on with contact cement, stitching is more decorative than functional. it does add some texture to the back of the handle, which does help with gripping the bow when shooting, I guess.

fit.jpgfit 2.jpgpunched.jpgneed needles.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
"...and start sewing". I say that like I can do it in my sleep. fat chance. I employ the baseball stitch because I think it looks sophisticated and cool on the back of a bow handle. I was a ball player a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. the stitching on a baseball always intrigued me. nostalgia isn't good for much, imo, but I suppose it has it's place. baseball stitch requires the use of two needles. I use curved needles because I think it's easier to sew with them in this capacity. lace it up and call it done. thank god it's over. :pickle:
IMG_0580.JPGbaseball stitch.jpgIMG_0583.JPGIMG_0584.JPG

well, almost over. one down, three to go. aye carumba! :eek:
IMG_0585.JPG

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like crap... Send me one, I'll hide it out in the barn to save you public embarrassment. You're welcome in advance!

J/K... looks awesome as always!

Jamie

Ohio
relaxed.jpgbraced.jpgdrawn.jpg

IMG_0596.JPGIMG_0602.JPG

limb color.jpg

time to get busy fine tuning arrow flight and with some meaningful practice. 58lbs kicked my ass yesterday.

so who's ready to build their own bow? :D

Jamie

Ohio
for me, the sole purpose of building and using wooden bows and arrows is for hunting, period. not for 3D competitions, not for flight shooting, or showing off at the next wooden bowbuilders jamboree. conception, design, construction, tuning, shooting is all done with only one goal in mind. taking game at close range.

the wind that had betrayed me on the morning hunt had behaved all evening. a stroke of good fortune when you hunt the hills of southern Ohio. I knew there would be some action. at 6 a doe with twins appeared in the small clearing 80 yards up the hill from my position, but they were feeding and drifting toward me. at 6:15 they had not closed the gap much. at 6:25 with heavy cloud cover and off and on sprinkles I realized my odds were slipping, as they were still out 40 yards searching hard for the few red oak acorns hiding under the leaves. just then the adult doe got a whiff of a small scrape not 20 yards from me and went right to it an sniffed around for a minute. considering the fading light and the coming rain, I decided that I would only shoot if she was in perfect position about 9-10 yards from me and offered herself up for the taking. at 6:30, as it were, she was slightly quartering away in that exact spot when I loosed the arrow. my bow made only a whisper, inaudible even to me, the arrow disappeared high in the back of the ribcage just where I wanted it, and in a four or five seconds she had covered the 60 yards or so to where her life ended. although I could not actually see her, I heard the crash and knew that she was down to stay. I clearly saw that my arrow had found its mark. after all this time, I'm still amazed how fast it can happen.

with only 15 or so minutes of light left, I got down and pulled my bloody, unbroken arrow out of the earth and eased down into the briars where she lay. the sprinkles continued, and turned into a light rain as I made the long walk back to the truck to get my deer cart, shed some clothes and meet my hunting partner. retrieving deer in the dark is a whole lot easier with two people, and I was thankful for his help, on many levels. he did, afterall, take me bowhunting for the first time 35 years ago. he's not so good with an iphone, but out of the dozen pics he tried to take, one sorta kinda turned out.

halloween doe.jpg

a double lung shot from a bow that I put a great deal of effort into, quick recovery, and deer in pieces in my fridge in less than 5 hours, including the hour and a half drive home. this is gonna be a fine eating mature southern ohio whitetail. the stuff that dreams are made of. well, my dreams, anyway. time to turn my attention back to that big 5x5 that managed to side step me three times this week at 20 yards or less. I have used arrow that knows what to do, and now it has his name on it...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Nice job jamie. That pump station ain't gonna work too good with holes in it like that...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice!!!! Like the write up.... You definitely have a way with both the bow and words....

Congrats on the doe and looking forward too your buck hunt....