Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best 12 ga Shell Shot

Hoytman62

This is my first Turkey Hunt. Never been before. I was wondering what is the best shot for a 12 ga. Shotgun for Turkey? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know that it's the best, but I was impressed with Winchester longbeard xr last year. I shot two with them, both fairly close range. They patterned really well at what I consider long range. They were reasonably priced too for a specialty type shell.

Reactions: bigten05 and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Go with Brocks suggestion... Winchester Longbeard XR number 5 shot... Winchester is the only shell I use... End of discussion...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
The winchester XRs have quite a following . Out of my gun they don't shoot well . I shoot the hevishot mag blend . Just because I know they shoot good from my gun and I don't wanna have to pattern another shell .
People also like the federal heavyweight and the TSS loads . For most turkeys the high density shot is overkill . But if you mess up and misjudged yardage or you have a bird that likes to hang up and not come in all the way the high density shot let's you reach out farther than lead loads . Plus the High density shot is harder therefore it usually patterns tighter than lead .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Make sure you pattern those Winchester long beard XR. My nephew missed a bird with them last year and I was ragging on him pretty hard. When we got back to the house he shot it at paper and it was a foot high. I shot his 870 thinking it was him and it shot high for me also. That was the 3in number 5s. The 3.5 number fives did great out of my Stoeger M 3500

twireman

Kingston, OH
I haven’t bought turkey shells in prob over5 years. Have had the same two boxes forever. I stopped in Rural King and picked up a box of the longbeard xr 3 1/2 5 shot. Just watched some youtube videos on them. Shells have came a little ways in the last several years. Hope to get a shot and see what these things will do.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Update: just shot one at 40 yards. 1187 .660 jellyhead choke. Should be good.

Reactions: brock ratcliff