Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best turkey load for 20 gauge

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’m going to start looking for some turkey loads to try out for my new shotgun. I think it would be smart to get some now before the mad rush for ammo before the season...with this COVID stuff going on among other things, it seems that ammo is getting harder to find. I’d like to try out several loads and go with the best one. Anyone have good results with turkey loads in a 3” 20 gauge ?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I only own a 20....

Jellyhead choke Winchester double x (don't know what shot size) have accounted for my only two birds to date.

I have some of the blended shot shells but haven't patterned them.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

tracker 6

In a thicket
Any 5 or 6 shot will kill turkeys.Copper plated is better and TSS is best . Pick up a few different varieties to pattern . I've been shooting discontinued 30 yr old Federals . I shoot all my birds with 20 ga.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I’m transitioning into the TSS, I’ve got a 20ga Retay Masai Mara on back order and gonna shoot 3” APEX 1 5/8oz 9 shot. I’ll post my results closer to March. Still undecided what choke I’ll shoot but looking at .575 to .580.

tracker 6

In a thicket
TSS is tempting , I just can't justify the extra cost .I never hunt anywhere that extra range is needed and I kinda like to look em in the eyes anyhow.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I started with an H&R 10ga. It was back bored, choked and sleeved by Bansner in Pa. and would flat out dislocate my shoulder every time I pulled the trigger. Killed a few with it then found my Rem 1187 SP with a local guys Choke tube. Much easier on the shoulder and flat out shoots.

My boy started hunting and has since took over my gun..... Which offers me an opportunity to find something new. Been doing my homework and landed on a new gun that specs out as a great replacement to my 1187 with less recoil. I’m excited to see what my efforts in research will bring!! Technology with TSS is amazing. So we shall see.

Fletch

Supporting Member
George I'd try winchester long beards #5.... If you can't find any, I've got a connection that might get them....

OO2

In the Uplands
I bought into the TSS hype with the savage 301. Gun is enjoyable to hike around the hills with. Can’t report anything on ammo because I’m Ohio’s worst turkey hunter. Curious to follow along so I can test other suggested ammo as well.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I’m going to start looking tomorrow...don’t want to wait until the last minute then not be able to find any. I’ll let you know what the average cost is for the TSS stuff.

What implications does the TSS have for choke tubes? My jelly head is rated for lead and hevi shot...

Yes I paid around 45.00 for a box of 12ga 3" mags. I figure 1 shell a year 2 at the most the cost was justified. I went with 7 shot, 9 seems like throwing dust at them. Although the friend that got me to change has killed a few birds with 9 shot. I did buy a new choke to shoot them and the pattern is amazing. I did get to hunt much last year and the only thing I shot with them was a coyote which they flattened.

Reactions: aholdren

Fletch

Supporting Member
George.... I see a few places have Winchester Long Beard XR in number 5 shot in 20 gauge.... Only question is will they ship to Jersey???

Fletch

Supporting Member
Turkey hunting is all about getting them in close... That's why we do it every spring, changing roles from being the hunter to the one being hunted... I have some old PAPER low brass shells that would get the job done every time in the hands of an experienced turkey hunter.... Of course big business will not profit and get rich this way....

Reactions: tracker 6 and OO2

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
A16E9E67-3B55-49A9-9099-92ABE0A7223F.jpeg

Picked these up today. No one has any TSS shot around. One place said they will get a shipment in February. Does anyone know if TSS can be shot through a xxfull turkey choke?

Reactions: Grayson Everett