Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Better late than never!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I knew I needed to fine tune my pins for the last few weeks. There were a couple weeks where I had such terrible poison ivy on my arms I could not shoot the bow. Couldn't do much of anything productive. Got out tonight and I am feeling good to 50yds. It would have to be perfect conditions for me to shoot past 35yds to be honest though. This is where I have great confidence, but I try to practice out farther. All I need to do now is verify the broad heads are hitting true with the field points and I am good. They were on last year, so I think I am good. Will verify before I hunt though. Probably shoot a dozen arrows a night each night this week. Wish I didn't have to take a couple weeks off, but between the poison ivy and work load . . . well, it didn't happen. Sure felt good hitting consistently at 50yds! I need to figure out some of my grouping issues down the road, but I am pretty sure it is the Octane rest. I think a QAD drop away rest is in order for next year. Too late in the game to change it now. They are consistently hitting within the size of a softball out to 40yds and just a tad larger at 50yds. I never claimed to be a great shot, but those are good enough to hit the vitals!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
heck yes man.Not bad at all for a dude with one archery kill.. You'll be wacking and stacking this year shooting like that.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds great, brother. Practicing at 50+ yds is priceless IMO... you get good at that range, and those 30 yarders are like shooting at a beach ball.

On a side note, if you have a terrible case of poison ivy, do yourself a favor and buy a tube of Zanfel. It's in the first aid section at Wally World. At 35 bucks for a 1 oz tube, it's hard on the wallet, but nothing gets rid of poison ivy any better IMO. When I get it, I get it BAD... I basically look at it and I get it. So over the years, I've tried everything. Usually, a trip to the doctor doesn't even get rid of it very quickly. This summer, I had a bad patch break out on my neck that was the size of my palm... every turn of my head was unbearable. I made a trip to Walmart, scrubbed with Zanfel that night, and the next day it was dried up and going away. It really is worth the money.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Junk that Octane rest...Dale can attest to that one. I had it on my PSE and no matter where I moved my pins it would throw my arrows left. It as rediculous. It worked great for the first year, afer that it went to hell.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
rgecko23

Junk that Octane rest...Dale can attest to that one. I had it on my PSE and no matter where I moved my pins it would throw my arrows left. It as rediculous. It worked great for the first year, afer that it went to hell.

Done. I thought about it last night. I made a contact with a local archery shop about 30min north of me. Tonight I am taking a truck bed load of tree stands, fanny packs, and back packs to his shop. He doesn't carry a line a stands. This is his fourth year. Should be mutually beneficial. I make some money. He makes some money. He doesn't put out more money in inventory. I move some stands. He offers something else for his customers. Win win. While there he is putting a Ripcord rest on my bow. He is a Hoyt/Bowtech dealer and says they have had the best luck with these rests. He was shooting 1000 arrows a day before he broke his wrist. So he says. Even a couple hundred a day would give his rest a good workout and test. If it is holding up to those numbers of arrows, then it will work fine for me. I asked about the QAD and he said eventually the spring gets weak and they don't pull down. Haven't had those issues with the Ripcords.

Octane Hostage problems according to the dealer lies in the brushes. They get worn down quickly. Once this happens you start shooting high. Eventually left or right sometimes gets buggered up too. Not a bad deal to have him give my bow the once over just before the season anyway. I will plug TOO for us while I am there!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Sounds great, brother. Practicing at 50+ yds is priceless IMO... you get good at that range, and those 30 yarders are like shooting at a beach ball.

On a side note, if you have a terrible case of poison ivy, do yourself a favor and buy a tube of Zanfel. It's in the first aid section at Wally World. At 35 bucks for a 1 oz tube, it's hard on the wallet, but nothing gets rid of poison ivy any better IMO. When I get it, I get it BAD... I basically look at it and I get it. So over the years, I've tried everything. Usually, a trip to the doctor doesn't even get rid of it very quickly. This summer, I had a bad patch break out on my neck that was the size of my palm... every turn of my head was unbearable. I made a trip to Walmart, scrubbed with Zanfel that night, and the next day it was dried up and going away. It really is worth the money.

I went to walmart tonight and bought a tube of this, i am absolutely covered in ivy, arms, legs, neck, eye lid, stomach. I couldnt take it anymore, so hopefully this stuff works because one tube barely was enough..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I went to walmart tonight and bought a tube of this, i am absolutely covered in ivy, arms, legs, neck, eye lid, stomach. I couldnt take it anymore, so hopefully this stuff works because one tube barely was enough..

Pulling up an old thread huh? lol

Maybe if you and Diablo weren't rolling around in the poison ivy together you wouldn't have these issues!rotflmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I can't guarantee it'll work for YOU, but I know it's worked miracles for ME in the past. I just wish they gave you more than one stinkin ounce in a tube! Good luck with it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
My rule of thumb is, over the counter stuff I will try for arms/legs/hands/feet, but once it gets close t0 the sack or the eyes, I head to the doc for a shot!

Best of luck!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Just got done with a trip to the doc for a shot, a prescription for predinisone, and wally world for the zanfel, fuggin left eye swelled shut, right eye almost there and my arms and 1 leg covered and my junk was a mess!!!!!!!!!! after the shower with the Zanfel and the steroid shot the eyes looked pretty good and its drying up now a day later!!!!!! I freakin hate poison ivy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I had to go to the doc TOO, got some roids and some calamine lotion, the zanfel honestly didnt work for me, so 36 bucks down the drain, thanks JB! lol. You'd think they would have a friggin immunity by now for this!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had to go to the doc TOO, got some roids and some calamine lotion, the zanfel honestly didnt work for me, so 36 bucks down the drain, thanks JB! lol. You'd think they would have a friggin immunity by now for this!

Lol... Sorry, dude... You're the first person I've heard of to not have success with it. That sucks. Nothing the doctors give me ever work, so Zanfel is my only defense. Bleach, gasoline, alcohol, paint thinner, peroxide, comet.... none of that shit ever worked for me either.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I think evrybody just reacts to it differently, unfortunitly my body decides to be complicated and expensive haha. On a side note, I did read up alot, and it said dont use bleach becasue it can spread the ivy even worse through your bloodstream.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think evrybody just reacts to it differently, unfortunitly my body decides to be complicated and expensive haha. On a side note, I did read up alot, and it said dont use bleach becasue it can spread the ivy even worse through your bloodstream.

Blah blah blah whatever... lol. Poison ivy doesn't spread through the blood stream. Actually it doesn't spread at all... Scratching doesn't spread it.. And it's not contagious.. The reason it shows up in one spot first and other later is called secondary exposure.. Say you touch a leaf and the oil gets on your arm. Later you wipe the sweat off your head with your arm. Your arm will be the first place it appears as it came into contact with the oil first and likely has a higher concentration. But when you wiped your forehead you transferred some of that oil to your head. The key word is some. Since the oil on your forehead is in a lesser amount it will take longer to develop... But what you also did was smear it on your arm. Like an ink smear the original drop will be concentrated and the smear will get lesser and lesser the further away from the source. .. This is why when days later it appears a little bit away on your arm people think it "spread.. It didn't, just took longer...

After a shower with soap and water you have removed the oil on your skin... However. within 25 minutes of exposure the damage is already done. The oil has already soaked into your skin.. Washing will prevent you from continuing to spread the oil by secondary contact, but it will not prevent an infection if an area has already been exposed prior...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Dang Joe, you know your poison ivy, i learned somthing today..so say i have it on my leg and it busts open and gets on my bed sheets, then another part of my leg touches the spot where it got busted, will i get another spot on my leg where it touched the second time?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang Joe, you know your poison ivy, i learned somthing today..so say i have it on my leg and it busts open and gets on my bed sheets, then another part of my leg touches the spot where it got busted, will i get another spot on my leg where it touched the second time?

I should.. When i was a kid i would get it so bad that it would remove the skin between my toes, Like pink raw skin was all that was left... and I would have a blister on the bottom of my feet 2 inches in diameter... It would get between my fingers so bad it would remove the skin there also... Until they came out with a shot.. I went twice a year for two years to get it.. Each year i got it less. The third year the FDA pulled it for some reason but i continued to get it less and less... Now, i can roll around in the stuff and not get it... Ask Alex.. I hung a set of sticks and a stand for him on a tree that was covered 360 degrees.. I climbed up and cut the vines. yanked them off the tree, the stuff falling all over me, on the sticks i pulled a vine that fell right on my shoulders... I just can't get the stuff now... But as a kid i went through enough of it for any mans lifetime.

Nope. The liquid in the blisters is not the oil that causes poison ivy, oak, etc..... If that were the case you could actually transfer it like a cold.. Yet those around you don't get it from you. They can however get it from your dirty clothes... See you get home strip naked and take a shower.. That evening you notice you have poison oak.. The wife gets it 3 days later and assumes you spread it to her.. When in reality she got it the next day when she picked up your clothes to put them in the wash..

Now.. If you go out and get it on you without knowing then come home and take a nap without a shower, the oil from the ivy will transfer to the sheets and you could spread it that way.

Last edited: