Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackbeard's 2015 Hunting Journal

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/22/15-AM. Saw two does at daylight, a small buck just wandering about 8:00, and a small doe on my walk out. Beautiful morning with snow pellets all morning and a NW-W wind. Took a picture of a rub on my property on my walk out. This is the only cedar tree on my place but they rub it every year.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448233146.612574.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448233240.071711.jpg

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/25/15-AM. Hunted my thicket stand, saw a half rack 8 wandering about slowly, then two does came past and he followed them, then watched two small bucks spar, then watched this little buck browse on briars and honeysuckle the rest of the morning. Beautiful morning with an E SE wind.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448497677.612265.jpg

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/26/15- AM. Hunted a stand backed up against a swamp, saw one spike. SE wind.

11/27/15- AM. Hunted a stand in an overgrown field, saw one deer (unknown) running early. S wind. Hunting pretty much sucks right now. Small bucks and a few does is all I'm seeing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was great catching up with your journal Kurtis! You have any bucks on camera that could be the one hitting that nice cedar? Good luck thru the remainder of the season!

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
It was great catching up with your journal Kurtis! You have any bucks on camera that could be the one hitting that nice cedar? Good luck thru the remainder of the season!

Yes, there was a 10 pt I was after that was probably the culprit but I don't know yet if he made it through gun season. Still trying to get him on camera since gun season ended.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
11/29/15- PM. My last hunt before the orange army rolled in only produced two doe sightings.

11/30/15 to 12/06/15- Gun Season. I hunted 9 times during the 7 days and saw 20 does, 0 antlered bucks, and 9 deer that I don't know if they were does or bucks. Really poor gun season for me. Could have shot several does but not seeing antlers the entire week is a first for me. Most excitement I had was on Tuesday evening in the rain I was stalking through some timber out a ridge and spotted a large bodied deer about 75 yards away. It was moving away from me so I never got to see what it was but it was alone and browsing and I just kind of assumed it was a buck based on its body size. After Tuesday the weather was really very good. I wish we could have had 5 straight days like Wednesday through Sunday in bow season!

I've been sick since Wed of gun season but as soon as I get rid of this cold I hope to get out and do some more bowhunting.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
After Gun Season report- I had a nasty cold pretty much the entire month of December but finally got rid of it right before Christmas so that was good. I hunted the two extra gun days and saw 7 does and 2 bucks. I was stalking through a saddle one afternoon and had a shot at a decent buck but it was through some brush so I didn't risk it. Hunted opening day of blackpowder season and had two small bucks come right to me at 8:00 so I shot the biggest one but he was just a little 4pt. Good season, one doe with a bow and one buck with my BP rifle. I'm happy with it. My three boys were excited as heck and my 6 year old helped me skin him!

4pt buck.jpg