Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow Vise Suggestions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's time for me to upgrade my bow vise, so I'm looking for suggestions from this crowd, especially @Milo. I'm learning towards the October Mountain Versa Cradle and want to get away from the old "universal" forked version I'm currently using. I anticipate a far amount of bow tuning in my future, so I want something more precise and reliable. I appreciate any suggestion y'all have.

1637163629222.png

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use the traditional style made by Apple Archery. It’s always worked well for me.

It appears that the one example you posted utilizes a single pivot point. One downfall I see to that is when you want to tilt on a single axis it’s going to be difficult not to alter the other axis, assuming you may not want to. Example… I typically have my vice mounted level. If setting up a bow, i will then levels and plumb the x and y axis with the bow locked in, for things like leveling a site or adjusting rest height, nock height, etc. Well, once I have things set, say I want to tilt the bow forward to make it easier to tie in a nock set or a d-loop… I can tilt it forward and tilt it back, only changing the y-axis, knowing that my x-axis hasn’t changed (in case I need to reassure or double check something’s still true). Is it a big deal not to have this ability? Probably not. But for me at least, it’s what I’m currently used to, so it would be a bit of a shocker to lose that capability.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have been looking at that one myself. I’m in the market for a new one soon. I like the one I have because I can double check the level bubble on sights and set 3rd axis as well. I don’t think mine is made any more so I know I will be looking. As what I don’t like about that one is you can set a reference level left and right. That might be a deal breaker for me but not sure what would work.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Finally settled on this one. I have their press and like, and @jagermeister's comments about the single pivot point of the one I posted first, resonated with me. Other than worn out/stripped parts on the one I have, it does do the job and it's simple to use. So I upgraded, but stayed with this style.

Reactions: jagermeister