Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead help

jlewis4390

Ok so I got my big jim 2 piece thunderchild shooting darts and hitting where I want to 30 yards using between 125-150 grain heads and I have some magnus ss snuffer heads and cannot get them to sharpen worth a dang literally won’t cut paper or shave hair I have never had a problem sharpening and I am guessing because they are stainless steel so I am in need of some new heads and trying to find some has been a struggle I live in logan (hocking ) and usually buy everything from Fairfield outdoors as he is about only one I know of to have traditional archery equipment .... but he has nothing in stock at all just stopped in yesterday and I have been looking all over local cant find anything and got in simmons website and all sales won’t Be shipped till nov 2 so looking to see if someone can point me in direction of a place to find some simmons , cutthroat , vpa or even iron will heads between 125-150 grain .... or if someone on here wants to sale some I will buy them ..all help appreciated u can also text me if you know of a place thanks fellas (614)421-817three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlewis4390

And I forgot to mention I need screw in heads not glue on as i shoot cx heritage arrows thanks

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man, I wish I could help you. All I can say is good luck. Between COVID and the sudden popularity of Ranch Fairy, but cut on contact broadheads are in very short supply everywhere. I’ve been waiting 6 weeks for replacement blades to show up from Magnus. It sucks.

Reactions: OO2 and giles

jlewis4390

Man, I wish I could help you. All I can say is good luck. Between COVID and the sudden popularity of Ranch Fairy, but cut on contact broadheads are in very short supply everywhere. I’ve been waiting 6 weeks for replacement blades to show up from Magnus. It sucks.

Yes it’s horrible I am to the point where i would pay the $100 for some iron will heads if I could find them or even some grizzlystiks this virus sucks lol

Reactions: jagermeister

jlewis4390

What kind of stone are you using?

Well after tons and tons of trying I looked in a old knife kit in my garage and found a honing rod 6 light passes per side and I am shaving hair from my hand ... i feel dumb but hey I got er figured out lol I was using just a cheap $25 3 sided stone and now the honing rod made all the difference .. thanks for replies guys
IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
job is easier with quality diamond hones(like video says) and good quality hard Arkansas stones that are truly flat. not much technique with three blade heads other than running through the grits and polishing the edge more and more a little at a time. stropping is probably overkill for broadheads as one or two trips in and out of the foam in your quivers' hood and you've "dulled" it back past what the stopping does. I'm about to touch up my first arrow out right now. :)

Reactions: jagermeister

jlewis4390

I plan on it if this rain ever stops I am gonna grab my lonewolf and head behind my house ... my wife and boys ordered me a custom big jim thunderchild two piece took 18 months to take delivery so it’s riding primary in my hunting line up with my mathews vxr as the backup incase I cant close the distance on a buck before shotgun [emoji23][emoji23]
IMG_4761.jpg

OO2

In the Uplands
Must be his personality and jokes

Creamer

Athens
If you have a bench grinder, look into the sharpening/buffing wheel Valkyrie sells for 3-blade heads. I do not have it, but I have read a lot of reviews and it certainly sounds like an awesome 3-blade sharpening system. If I go back to a 3-blade head I'll be buying it. It has an abrasive wheel and a paper wheel for final polishing.

For the record, I shot 3-blade Woodsman's last fall and I had a horrible time getting an edge on them. They came with a really bad bevel and it took a lot of work with a file and sharpening stones to get them usable.

Reactions: tracker 6