Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead sharpening

Creamer

Athens
I'm sure I wasn't the only one here who watched the Ranch Fairy/The Hunting Public collaboration video on broadhead sharpening. I ordered a Stay Sharp guide, a large sandpaper assortment off Amazon, and had ordered Cutthroat single bevel heads in late July. The heads were on backorder, which I knew at the time of the order...but the arrival/ship date keeps getting pushed back. As an insurance plan, I ordered some Magnus Stingers yesterday so I have a contingency plan. In the meantime, I decided last night to pull out the sharpening stuff and see what the method could do on an old 2-blade head that hit the dirt multiple times over the last year on groundhog shots (one kill, a few recurve misses).

I started out with this old head and blacked out the edge with a Sharpie.

I cycled from 220 grit (to set an edge) and went up through 2000 grit.

This works, plain and simple. I'm guessing I spent maybe 20 minutes on this old head. It was good practice. I'm excited to get some better quality heads to work with and see how scary sharp I can take them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I also ordered that kit and can't wait to mess around with it. I have some old Buzzcuts to practice with and somewhere, I also have some Zwickey double bevels. Old Ranch Fairy has sold quite a few kits and broadheads this summer!

Reactions: giles and Creamer
I too watched the videos. I got the stay sharp guide and sandpaper ready to go. Ordered magnus black hornets in July and the ship date keeps getting pushed back also so fingers crossed they come before opening day lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie

Ohio
that's what I did yesterday, too. shooting between thunderstorms, sharpening heads while it was pouring rain. most of the time I only have to do a quick touch up as I have an arrow case full of broadhead arrows. had to start from scratch this year after mounting and shooting old heads on new arrows. nothing but a file, diamonds and finish on a black hard Arkansas stone. by the time I got to finishing the third head, the hairs on my arm just started jumping off when they saw the blade coming.:LOL:

Creamer

Athens
Did they sharpen them at the factory on the concrete floor. Man that's some rough edges. 😅

They come out of the package pretty rough. I’ve read before that is the case. You can pay an extra few dollars and have them sharpen them or get them like this and DIY. Some were worse than others but none were hunt-ready. Looks like they get them with a factory ground edge and ship them as-is.