Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadhead Surviability

What are your thoughts on a broadhead (fixed blade) that is completely destroyed after killing a deer with it? :unsure:

I recently shot a buck (heart shot) and it appeared to hit the offside shoulder or leg bone. I never found the blades, but the ferrule was still attached to the brass insert and laying inside the chest cavity. The broadhead was a Magnus SS Snuffer. I thought this was a 1 piece construction type broadhead, like the G5 Montec. Apparently, I was wrong. :rolleyes: Granted, the broadhead did its' job, but resharpening and reusing it, is what a fixed blade is all about.

Bowhunter57

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I shot a doe on the third day of the season this year, and that was the 9th or 10th deer I killed with that head, same main blades and bleeder blades, just touched them up every time I shot something with them. It was retired on that last deer due to being buried to the ferrule in a tree after passing through. I’m sure that head was a little lighter than 125 after all of the sharpening done to it lol. I am, and have been using the Magnus Stingers. They shot great out of my stick bow setups for a long time, then when I made the switch last season to a compound I figured there was no reason not to continue using them. Best part is, the head that finally retired was replaced without question by Magnus. Lifetime guarantees are nice, especially when the company stands behind them lol.

1EF137E0-75D0-4C76-A2DF-878E6B69EE1F.jpeg

I shot a doe on the third day of the season this year, and that was the 9th or 10th deer I killed with that head, same main blades and bleeder blades, just touched them up every time I shot something with them. Lifetime guarantees are nice, especially when the company stands behind them lol.
TinyTucky,
This is the kind of durability I was expecting from the SS Snuffer. :unsure:
I'll have to go back out to where I field dressed my buck to find the ferrule with the attached brass insert. I may as well send it in to Magnus and use their warranty. I laid it on the ground, expecting to take it with me and forgot it. :rolleyes: Too much adrenaline flowing from the moment. 😎 My next broadheads in my quiver, from my Obsession Fusion 7, are the Magnus Black Hornets. I may have to wait until next year to test them, as I'm switching back to my Ravin R10, for a couple more doe kills.

My next broadhead out of the R10 is a Slick Trick. 💯 I've had perfect flight out of them, out to 70 yards.

Bowhunter57

Hunter II

What are your thoughts on a broadhead (fixed blade) that is completely destroyed after killing a deer with it? :unsure:

I recently shot a buck (heart shot) and it appeared to hit the offside shoulder or leg bone. I never found the blades, but the ferrule was still attached to the brass insert and laying inside the chest cavity. The broadhead was a Magnus SS Snuffer. I thought this was a 1 piece construction type broadhead, like the G5 Montec. Apparently, I was wrong. :rolleyes: Granted, the broadhead did its' job, but resharpening and reusing it, is what a fixed blade is all about.

Bowhunter57

Where did you buy your "Magnus SS Snuffer" broadheads? They sound like china knock offs. Real Snuffer SS do not have replaceable blades.

Where did you buy your "Magnus SS Snuffer" broadheads? They sound like china knock offs. Real Snuffer SS do not have replaceable blades.
I purchased them at a local sporting goods store. They were in the standard Magnus packaging and NOT chinese knockoffs.
I realize that they don't have replaceable blades, but could be resharpened and reused....had they not separated. 🙄

Hunter II

I purchased them at a local sporting goods store. They were in the standard Magnus packaging and NOT chinese knockoffs.
I realize that they don't have replaceable blades, but could be resharpened and reused....had they not separated. 🙄
Wow. the welds broke? Post a pic.

Wow. the welds broke? Post a pic.
Found the arrow, but just the blades and no ferrule. I had the 100 grain brass insert with the ferrule in my hand, while I was field dressing this buck and I laid it down to the side. I looked all around the area, but couldn't find it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Snuffer 1.jpg
    Snuffer 1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Snuffer 2.jpg
    Snuffer 2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Snuffer 3.jpg
    Snuffer 3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 127
That’s surprising. Make sure you send those pics to mikesohm@magnusbroadheads.com
Hunter ll,
I sent Mike Sohm an e-mail with photos and an explanation of the shot events. He has replied, already and stated that the "survivability" of any broadhead, for that kind of shot would not survive without serious damage. He also stated, the Snuffer SS is the only broadhead in their lineup that is welded in California and NOT made in Great Bend, Kansas, at the Magnus factory.
He asked that I give my address and he'll send me a replacement. 💯 😎 You can't ask for better service from a broadhead company!

Last edited:

Creamer

Athens
I'm late to finding this thread, but here's a couple of observations from my broadhead experiences the past few seasons. In the last three seasons, I have shot the following brands/models at deer: Woodsman 3-blade (the originals, not the "Elite" models from better steel), Cutthroat Single Bevel 2-blade, and Zwickey No Mercy Single Bevel. I have shot, in the yard at targets but not at deer, Magnus Stinger 4-blade and Simmons Sharks. I spin test all of the broadheads I shoot before they hit my quiver and after I've shot deer (or AT deer) with them. The Cutthroat 2-Blade is the only head of the three that I have fired into deer (and dirt :confused:) that could be immediately resharpened and reused. Both the Zwickey and the Woodsman wobbled like an undergrad leaving the CI at closing time in uptown Athens after impacting a deer. Did they do their job? Yes. They are both cheaper heads, they took an edge fine and flew great, they accomplished their goal, but they were "fire and forget" heads. The Simmons Sharks spin and fly really well out of my setups, I haven't used them in the field because I'm honestly unsatisfied with the sharpness level I am able to get on them. Good enough, maybe? But compared to other heads, I can't get the Simmons as sharp. I did destroy one Magnus Stinger in the yard, but it took a whale of an impact to do it. I missed low on a groundhog that was sitting on a concrete edger, and, well...use your imagination. It didn't end well.

Those are my random broadhead observations. I believe you can make about anything work and do the job, but the higher quality heads are a lot more likely to see another day of action, and that's where their value/price makes sense to me.