Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadheads for Bears....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok… So I'm on the fence as to what broadhead to use for bears in two week's.... My go to broadhead for deer are Slick Trick 100 grain magnums and have had great success with them... In another thread on broadheads some including me have thought at times Slick Tricks leave a less than desirable blood trail... Not worried about a pass through, as I know I'll get that as long as I don't hit the shoulder... What worries me is all that hair and fat plugging up the entrance an exit hole... So anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks...

Jamie

Ohio
I don't have any complaints about the160 grain Magnus two blade. went through bear like soft butter, made big hole, left good blood trail.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member

Fletch

Supporting Member
JMHO stick with what you are shooting and definitely stay away from mechanicals. Heavier bone than whitetails and stay away from the shoulder you'll be fine.
That's the way I'm leaning. Just always have in the back of your mind: is there something better.... Both my crossbow and Martin compound are shooting darts with the Slick Trick's, so I hate to play around with a new broadhead so close to my annual Illinois trip for deer... But I do appreciate the input guys...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Fletch

Supporting Member
Years ago I did a bear hunt in Quebec, at that time I was shooting slick tricks. Not the magnums just the original 100 grain broad heads. I shot a 200 pound bear and had a great blood trail. It was spring and there was no fat on the bear at all.
THank's... Did you have a pass thru.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Rich, I shot thunderheads for years with nothing but good luck. When I shot 30 yards and closer they were deadly with large holes and great blood trails. The 40+ yard tuning on them with my last 2 Xbows made me give them up, but I think the compound would be great shooting them. If you wanna give them a try, let me know and I’ll send you some I have left over.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Rich, I shot thunderheads for years with nothing but good luck. When I shot 30 yards and closer they were deadly with large holes and great blood trails. The 40+ yard tuning on them with my last 2 Xbows made me give them up, but I think the compound would be great shooting them. If you wanna give them a try, let me know and I’ll send you some I have left over.
"J" Thanks for the offer buddy, but I have a pack of Thunderheads from years ago.. They were a great broadhead and accounted for a few deer... I think I'm sticking with the Slick Tricks as this early season is 6 days long of which all 6 are bow but the last three are muzzle loader also... So for 3 days I'm not playing around with the bows... I'll take the CVA out Thur. thru Sat. Sure hope yogi shows up....