Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadheads

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Yep. I was not impressed with the holes left by the Montec on Jamie's doe last weekend. He put it right through her heart, so it was a perfect shot and she died inside 60 yards. However, the lack of blood trail and tiny holes were not the least bit impressive. I'd take the Rage slit over that "hole" any day. I can't wait to drive a golf ball sized hole through a deer!!!

Those broadheads are relatively dull when you purchase them. I touch mine up a bit after they come out of the package, but I'm not real sure if it helps. Haven't had a chance to shoot anything with them.

gumbygold

Central Ohio
I also use the Slick Trick magnums. I had a marginal shot last year (hit a bit forward from a steep angle) and it cut right through his shoulder and penetrated to the lungs. He went about 80 yards. For now I'm sticking with them.

Big H

Medina
Another ST user here, I shoot the 125 magnums and have been using them 5 or 6 years now. No reason to shoot anything else.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok... so I'm down to only one razor sharp broadhead. I've been looking online for the Steelforce Phat Head SOBs, but a lot of the online archery stores are sold out. I've got one more place to check... But if I can't find them, I may have to pick up a pack of ST mags, just for grins.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
amazon.com

Thanks, dude. I decided that I want to have some by this weekend... So I'll just head down to Fin Feather Fur on Friday and see what they've got in stock. I've always wanted to try a slick trick, but damn I love those SF phat heads... they are meeeaaaaaaannnnnn.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i sure wish some1 would try the razortricks[hint jbrown].

Lol... boy, that was subtle. :) See, the razortricks don't really appeal to me. From what I can gather, the biggest reason ST's have such a reputation of toughness is because of that ferrule and the alcatraz blade lock system. The razortricks take the full initial force on the tip of that cut-on-contact blade, not a ferrule. And the blades are the same thickness as the regular ST blades, right? Maybe not... I didn't check on that. What I'm getting at is, if you're going to switch to a ST because they're so tough, don't go with the (what I would consider) weak one. My SF phat heads are cut-on-contact, but the .080" blade is also twice as thick as a ST blade, so that adds to their toughness factor. Know what I'm saying?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lol... boy, that was subtle. :) See, the razortricks don't really appeal to me. From what I can gather, the biggest reason ST's have such a reputation of toughness is because of that ferrule and the alcatraz blade lock system. The razortricks take the full initial force on the tip of that cut-on-contact blade, not a ferrule. And the blades are the same thickness as the regular ST blades, right? Maybe not... I didn't check on that. What I'm getting at is, if you're going to switch to a ST because they're so tough, don't go with the (what I would consider) weak one. My SF phat heads are cut-on-contact, but the .080" blade is also twice as thick as a ST blade, so that adds to their toughness factor. Know what I'm saying?

That is correct.. The Razor tricks aren't as tough as the ST standards and mags...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
gotcha,..The blade lock system is great as are the ferrules .I have had a few practice mag blades lose integrity after multiple shot at a target.Nothing major.

What integrity was lost? Even after smashing them through bone, prying them out of trees and dirt, and hundreds of shots through targets I've never once had a ST blade wiggle even the slightest.. LOL.. Heck.. I shot the same 3 heads for 3 seasons.. I replaced them this year because i didn't have much blade to resharpen and was worried about weight..

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I use the Razortrick 100s,last year was my 1st season with them but anyways I shot a doe clean throught her spine @25yds. and the blades showed no damage at all,I did end up making it my practice head until a certain site member found out they shoot just like field points and hit the practice head with his field tip after he shot the practice head 1st.................bottom line they are good broadheads

What integrity was lost? Even after smashing them through bone, prying them out of trees and dirt, and hundreds of shots through targets I've never once had a ST blade wiggle even the slightest.. LOL.. Heck.. I shot the same 3 heads for 3 seasons.. I replaced them this year because i didn't have much blade to resharpen and was worried about weight..
would u like pics?minor ding in blade edge.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
lol calm down! i like them as much as you.I will say i am impressed u hit bone an it did nothing to the blade.

I'm not spun up man. You said "blade lost integrity".. lol..A blade loosing integrity to me means the thing was snapped, mangled, or loose, not the edge got dinged... lol .. Obviously it did something to the blades when i shot bone.. lol.. But the integrity of the blades was still intact... It put a slight wave in the leading edges.. Nothing that couldn't be sharpened out though. The head still spun true, the blades were straight, and it still flew fine....

When I think of blades losing integrity I think about what JDs Rage 2 blade looked like after a rib shot on that buck.. One was bent clean around the ferrule, the other almost completely closed, mangled, and jammed in the slot... A tiny puncture wound exit where the cut on contact tip poked through before bouncing back. True the buck only went 50 yards, but i have to say he would have done that with any head as it was a textbook shot..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not spun up man. You said "blade lost integrity".. lol..A blade loosing integrity to me means the thing was snapped, mangled, or loose, not the edge got dinged... lol .. Obviously it did something to the blades when i shot bone.. lol.. But the integrity of the blades was still intact... It put a slight wave in the leading edges.. Nothing that couldn't be sharpened out though. The head still spun true, the blades were straight, and it still flew fine....

When I think of blades losing integrity I think about what JDs Rage 2 blade looked like after a rib shot on that buck.. One was bent clean around the ferrule, the other almost completely closed, mangled, and jammed in the slot... A tiny puncture wound exit where the cut on contact tip poked through before bouncing back. True the buck only went 50 yards, but i have to say he would have done that with any head as it was a textbook shot..

I am not as seasoned as some of you guys, but I HAVE killed several deer with my bow now. I will go with what I know and what I have seen for now. I am not asking what side of beef to buy from a vegetarian any sooner than I am going to ask marital advice from a priest or broadhead advice from someone that hasn't put one through a deer yet. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. This is not my goal. Just hate to see anyone mislead in an area that I feel is pretty important. I am glad to see our friend back posting again, but in my opinion advice on broad heads might be best left to those which have put some through a deer. Once again, sorry if I am stepping on your ego.

Kaiser is an animal whether racing his dirtbike or killing deer. I'm glad Rages work for him, but he is also a competition shooter with great confidence, accuracy, and kinetic energy. To me, he is the exception to the rule. I am not convinced Rages are best for everyone. I think those less experienced than Zach tend to have too much confidence in the broadhead making up for their poor shot angle or shot selection. Just last week I watched someone take a 41yd shot at a bedded doe and aim for the neck because "I was using my Rages so I knew she would die." His quote. Not mine. Didn't impress me. Also didn't find the deer. Another guy was bragging about his Rages and said the buck he killed last year died because he opened it up like a tin can. Hard shot angle, and the Rage ran along the outside of the ribcage but NEVER penetrated the ribs or any vitals. To me, this is not ethical nor should it be encouraged. Like I said, Zach is the exception to the rule. He is not shooting Rages to make up for poor shot placements or "Hail Mary shots" at bucks. Zach is pretty dang disciplined about what he does and how he does it. If he doesn't have the shot angle needed, he isn't throwing out a low percentage shot "because I am shooting my Rages."

I am going to have to listen to Jackalope or Milo on this one. I will listen to JBrown, Jesse, Kaiser, Tuffshot, or numerous others. Just about any of the guys on here that have killed their share of deer I will listen to. There have been a lot of deer killed by hunters on this forum by a lot of broad heads shot from numerous bow setups. I am sorry, but prior to ever killing a deer with my bow I had made a decision to go with fixed blades. I am not debating fixed blades vs mechanicals. My opinion goes to fixed blades just due to the "potential" for mechanical failure on a mechanical and the loss of KE. Now as to which fixed blade to go with, I am not sure it matters as much as your shot placement. However, there is always that tree limb or flinch or buck fever that is the error of the hunter. For this reason, there will always be a debate about which fixed blade is best. In all reality, it probably should be determined more by your bow setup which one is "best" rather than opinion.

As for what I use? I have used Muzzy 3 blades since I started archery hunting in 2009. Here are the three deer I have killed with them and what pictures I have of the holes left. Wish I had better pictures of last years buck exit hole. Can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the exit. Dang.

Attachments

• IMG00144-20110928-2007 exit hole close up.jpg
    IMG00144-20110928-2007 exit hole close up.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG00147-20110928-2024 doe entrance.jpg
    IMG00147-20110928-2024 doe entrance.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN1841 Nov 21 buck.jpg
    DSCN1841 Nov 21 buck.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN01800001.jpg
    DSCN01800001.jpg