Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2021/22

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lol. Those dogs will hunt anything. Once you teach them what you want, they hunt them. One of Clint’s dogs tackled a deer one day. He stayed on top of it until Clint drug him off. The deer got up and headed for the next county.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What a morning! It started off slow. Clint, Ike, Mason and I started off on the piece where Mason killed his buck last year. 120 acres of perfect pheasant cover. Four really good dogs and four half-wits followers. We only moved one hen. There is no ag fields bordering the cover this year. I assume that is why we didn’t turn much of anything up. So we moved down the road a half mile to an old faithful spot known as Gobblers Knob. Clint has already shot a bunch of roosters off the field so we really weren’t looking to collect meat, just get the dogs in some birds. We went a hundred yards or so when Peanut started tracking. It obvious when he’s on a bird, I just try to keep up. He went about two hundred yards and went on point. Mason and I caught up and flushed the birds, a big fat hen. Peanut can track a bird as well as any dog I’ve ever seen. GSPs do not do it well. They typically will just run a field until they find one sitting. That’s not an issue on some birds, but most wild birds run like deer when they have been hunted. Peanut just flat beats em. He did the same thing on a couple more hens before the old legend, Ruger, my crippled up old GSP locked down right in front of Mason. Mason flushed the bird, a big rooster, and made a good shot with the O/U Berretta I got from @Geezer II a few years ago. As unbelievable as it may seem, that was his first wild bird. He’s killed piles of planted birds but has always rushed the shot and missed wild ones. It was a thing of beauty from my vantage point. Peanut was the first of the four dogs to reach the downed rooster and made a fine retrieve. We ventured off again after high fives only to have Peanut continue to show the older dogs how it’s supposed to be done. He found another half dozen hens and two covey of quail. Tracked the pheasants perfectly, held point and watched em fly off. Ruger found another single quail. For those that haven’t experienced it, just take my word as gospel when I say there is nothing prettier than a bird dog on point. We will enjoy dining on pheasant soon, but the dogs and the beautiful landscape where pheasants live is what it’s really all about! I only took a few pictures because it’s just a difficult thing to do when you know a bird could blast off at any moment. Mason did snap one of Peanut just before I flushed the first covey of quail he had found.
69DAF0B3-684B-49A4-8513-8AE347D7B32E.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
0085B9E0-FCE7-4669-B95D-E5E70EEF37FF.png

Mason and I went to my friend Tony’s today. We had a good time and Peanut again showed himself to be amazing. I’m impressed with him each time he takes to a field. I’ve had a few good dogs but I think Peanut May be the best and most enjoyable to watch. If this dog was a poor hunting partner, he’d still be a wonderful pet.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason, Jamie and I took a long walk this morning with few squirrels to be found. We killed four, each hard earned. We headed back to my place to drop Mason off in time for an afternoon deer hunt. Jamie and I went to another spot for an even longer and less fruit-filled walk. Jamie killed one. The dogs did their part. Shooters did theirs. Squirrels, strangely, did not even earn a participation ribbon. The few that did, for the most part, died. 😁.
It was another good time with Jamie and the pups. Always fun even when it’s not action packed.

We also found a dandy young ten point. Probably would score mid 130s. Pretty sure it’s one Mason passed in October. Bummer.
62461926-BBD3-4578-801C-42B488F30DEE.jpeg