Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2021/22

Stressless

Keene, OH
Way to stack the meat with the stickbow! I just got my bear recurve tuned to be able to shoot effectively but not the needed practice for this season. looking fwd to getting after it next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
7EF0F9D1-EE32-4190-BA2F-01385B0AF12B.jpeg

Townzen got this pic while at work. He was on a video conference with his boss at the time. His boss told him to go get him. He’s been in the stand since about 1130. This deer has been through there multiple times in the last few days. I can’t go due to a doctor appointment this afternoon. So it’s likely Townzen will get a shot since I’m not there to help it celebrate. This would certainly be Townzen’ Best deer. I really hope it works out.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I’ve been sharing your fun with Austin!! His only comment is, Geesh him and Mason make it look Easy!!! He’s right your making it look easy and fun!! Keep keeping on my friend!

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What died today?
Sadly, nothing. Andy called me this morning to tell me he was actually going to hunt tonight. He passed a buck yesterday with a 10” drop tine. Decided overnight that he would go back and kill him tonight. Which usually means that deer is dead, but he didn’t show up. Townzen just texted that he didn’t kill anything and was walking out. Haven’t got a story from him yet.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I slept in today. We are about to head up to Deer Creek to look around and move stands. I hope I can hunt a time or two this week but the old nagging gout or whatever is wrong with me has crept back into my ankle. Just gonna try to fight through it and get out if I can.
Probably won’t hunt tomorrow. But if I’m physically able I plan to be there Monday and every chance I have until next Saturday.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
301B486B-C0E4-4E0B-A539-5CD4C4189995.jpeg
This place is tough to find a suitable stand location. One of the deer I shot last week was right under this Osage. Trails everywhere and believe it or not, this is a better hiding spot that I had before. I hope my fear of heights doesn’t kick in. 😁

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
the answer is "it would be extraordinarily cool". I know a guy that did it once several years ago. he was very pleased with himself as I recall. :LOL:
I know a guy that makes some really nice Osage bows... if he happened to have dropped one of for me to borrow last week, I’d have certainly given it a try this week. As things stand, I’ll just have to use this modern day CNC crated fake traditional bow.... and so far it has proven effective but not exactly the most savage traditional equipment available. One of these days, Miller, I’m gonna man up and shoot something with a hand crafted bow. Perhaps while wearing a loin cloth. Now that will be a hero photo worthy of posting!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
How long do you guys have that spot?
Saturday is our last day. I don’t think I’ll be there for the grande finale. I hope to take my buddy Steve out to our place for a low effort but successful hunt. Covid about killed him recently. He survived and I want to get him to the woods so that is certainly worth skipping that last day.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My alarm is set for 5. It’s roughly 1215 and I don’t have a prayer of going to sleep. Mason and I are heading to the park in the morning with plans to hunt all day. We are going to sit in the morning and then hang a stand down the ridge for the evening sit. We will be closer to where we have been getting pics of some really good bucks. Studying OnX has yielded theories as to why they are there and where we may be more likely to get a better look at them. Townzen has been close to them a couple times but the opportunity has not presented itself.
I plan to hunt as much as possible on the draw hunt but obligations will keep me from making the trip every day. Mason has a great set up on our property. I gave suggestions, he has done all the work. We have a blind set up. We have resorted to feeding corn to put them where we want them. And we have a pile of deer coming in daylight. One buck showed up during gun season. He’s not a giant, but he is absolutely gorgeous. A young 8 point. He is really regular to the bait along with his buddies. If I still have a buck tag come Thursday, Mason and I will be going after him before work. Despite his young age, if I can kill him with my bow with my boy video taping in the blind with me, I’ll be absolutely thrilled. I’m to the point I just want to do things right, clean kill, and it matters most to have my boy or a friend along to enjoy it. This deer, on our property, would certainly fill that list of criteria.
Here is a pic of a pic... I am that lazy these days.
D5E8C1EE-8CDC-41AE-B1ED-89835A73F6DF.jpeg