Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck age

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Okay, how much longer with all the wild suspense? I've stuck around thinking you'd share the age by now. How much longer you going to leave us all hanging. Apparently, some already know so, give it up man!

• Haha
Reactions: OO2

Bigcountry40

Little bit of sag in the back with a nice big belly, I would guess 5 or older like others have said. Ole boy eats well

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry wildlife i went to bed had to be at work early.I figured him at 5.5 from his teeth but I was off a year. The lab had him at 4.5.
I think without yearly history with a buck it's just a guessing game.
Screenshot_20210629-130353_Gallery.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
With jaw in hand, you can pretty accurately assume age up to 3.5-4.5 years old. On the hoof is pretty much the same IMO. After 4.5 it’s anybody’s guess up here in northern climates. Some deer are bigger than others and shaped differently at various ages. It’s pretty easy to determine if a deer is mature or not… but exact age without a known history is a guessing game.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thanks! My day can now go on :LOL: Again, great deer! and one heck of a hunt! I remember you sharing the story and appreciate your sharing. I never thought to send a tooth out, but I have heard of it before. Pretty cool (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Boarhead

Buckkillr

Athens
I'm too late but was gonna guess around 3.5 only cause there's very few older than that, that isn't killed.

They taught us that back in college and I believe I've said it on here a few times but there is no way of knowing a deers age unless you send out a tooth. Some base age on teeth but some deer eat in very sandy conditions so their teeth are worn must faster or they base on belly hanging but some deer just live in a smorgasbord therefore get fat faster

Very cool you sent that out! 👍
Where did you send it?
What do they charge?
How long did it take?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm too late but was gonna guess around 3.5 only cause there's very few older than that, that isn't killed.

They taught us that back in college and I believe I've said it on here a few times but there is no way of knowing a deers age unless you send out a tooth. Some base age on teeth but some deer eat in very sandy conditions so their teeth are worn must faster or they base on belly hanging but some deer just live in a smorgasbord therefore get fat faster

Very cool you sent that out! 👍
Where did you send it?
What do they charge?
How long did it take?
Based on # of teeth and replacement of certain teeth, you can determine age with absolute certainty through 2.5 years of age. From 3.5 and older though it’s 100% subjective and only gets more difficult with each passing year.

Reactions: Buckkillr and giles