Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck I passed on

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think the camera adds 10" of antler. He was maybe 13-15" wide and I don't remember the antler's tines being that tall. He is off to a good start.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yessir. This is why I was kinda bummed when I watched the video of my kill shot. Sure, it would have been a bit darker, but dusk AND grainy made for a bad combo. I really don't care though. Isn't like I am starting any TV shows. I put it on the bow so I could go back and remember some of the moments I had in the woods in previous hunting seasons. I put it on to be able to go home and show my wife and kids what I saw. They don't seem to care if I just tell them about it. Lose their attention fast. Show them what you saw and it is easier to share. It has made them want to go out and hunt with me a bit more as well. Anything I can do to expand my family's appreciation for the outdoors is a plus!

bowhunthardin

It was a great decision to pass on this buck with a bow... the bad thing is come monday morning he will be lucky to make it through the army of orange. A buck like that will never get a pass during gun season because its always a split second decision. Just one more reason why I preffer stick and string for whitetails. I hope he makes it so you can hunt him in a few years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know. You are right. Probably will push all the surrounding woods around here with or without permission. There were several on this property which made it easy to pass on the one in the video. I am fortunate in the two woods I picked up to hunt this year. This guy was an easy pass. Last year was a different story with the woods I hunted. I still would have passed a deer like this last year and ate tag soup. I can only hope the bucks pushed are not pushed out of my farm to the west of me. This one has potential and not a lot of traffic is in there that HAS permission. Glad I have my buck. I will spend my time on both properties next week, but I will be doing it with my Deputy Dog badge on. lol I will only be there to bust a-hole trespassers.

bowhunthardin

I have the same situation where I am hunting. I try and do the right things to watch them grow but end up seeing a ton of 1 1/2 year old bucks slaughtered during the gun week. I guess that's what you get when you do not own your own land. I wish I could get everyone on board...We could have some giants in about three years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You ain't a kiddin' there. I am doing my part. Several of my friends are doing there part. One of them bought a nice piece of property. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row (after 3 yrs of putting a wife through school uggh) in order to buy my tract of land. In the end my wife and I will either have debt in the form of a nice piece of land or we will have no debt. Just trying to be debt free in order to borrow for a nice piece of ground. Ironic isn't it? Like I said though, if we can't get a chunk of ground bought right, at least we will have bettered our own financial situation. I still don't think this economy has completely bottomed yet. I still think there are going to be some awesome real estate deals to be had in the next 5 years.