Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bucket List Trip

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had too let the wife take the photos on the whale watching part, the scenery was fantastic and the pictures don't do it justice one bit. I would of been more focused on the mountains and shoreline than the whales lol. So all the pictures you see on the little wjhale watching boats are from her mostly. The boat we were on in these pictures was manufactured right there in Juneau and made specifically for the whale watching as the haul and the jet drive were designed too not injure any of the whale if contact was made, well lets just say minimal injury would happen.
I forget the manufactures name but the same style boat was one of the first on scene of the flight that went down in the hudson and rescued some of the folks years ago. If you watch the movie Scully you'll see them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
DSC_0406.JPG
DSC_0414.JPG
DSC_0499.JPG

Mendanhal glacier, it takes 100 inches of snow too make 1" of ice on it. More pictures of it to follow. A little closer.
DSC_0566.JPG
DSC_0652.JPG
DSC_0681.JPG
DSC_0697.JPG
DSC_0729.JPG

The sea lion below was huge and not what a normal sized one would be. I forget how many pounds she's estimated at but its as big as any of the males out there.
DSC_0533.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0504.JPG
    DSC_0504.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 102

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The Glacier's always fascinated me. Awesome pictures J!
(Fun fact: Several million years ago, Ashtabula county was covered by ice up to a mile thick during one of the glaciers cycling periods.)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The Glacier's always fascinated me.
(Fun fact: Several million years ago, Ashtabula county was covered by ice up to a mile thick during one of the glaciers cycling periods.)
That damn climate change screwed that up.... 😂😂😂
You’ll be seeing some pictures leading up too the glacier....

Reactions: CJD3

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
DSC_0864.JPG
DSC_0864.JPG
DSC_0870.JPG
DSC_0874.JPG
DSC_0880.JPG
DSC_0885.JPG
DSC_0892.JPG
DSC_0896.JPG
DSC_0900.JPG
DSC_0908.JPG
DSC_0910.JPG

The 5th picture down, where you see the cement footers sticking up outta the ground. Those are the Juneau Stone hedge..... lol.... Apparently during WWII the army decided too put radio towers there for communication too the lower 48. The locals tried too tell them that wouldn't be a good idea. Well the Army with all its engineers told them differently. Well they were built and they never worked because they were surrounded by the mountain range and no signal could get to or in...... They stayed there for close too 40 years and then were disassembled and the cement was the only thing left behind...... So the locals started calling it their stone hedge lol.....