Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BucketBuck - my opening weekend story (it's a long one)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Post it bud lets have a look.. We've all been elbow deep in deer guts here.. I'm sure nobody is squeamish.

badger

*Supporting Member*
You have one hell of a memory Dan. That is written damn near word for word the way you told me on the phone.

Awesome read and deer!

Now it's time to get busy with the uncles freezer.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
IM000004.jpgIM000005.jpgHere's Rufus' toofers...age estimate?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here's Rufus' toofers...age estimate?

Sorry bud, but those pics aren't much help for aging. They are blurry and you need a different angle. A view from above them (looking directly down on the bottom teeth) would be the best. The tooth-wear aging method is based off of the amount of dentine vs. enamel that is exposed... basically, the width of the dark stuff compared to the width of the white stuff. There are some other factors too, but to differentiate between a 2.5 and 3.5 we need to see the teeth from above. Once you get above 4.5, tooth-wear aging starts to become pretty inaccurate.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Screw the teefers Dan. That is a great story, and a great buck! Only thing I can tell about the teeth is Rufus sure didn't floss much. I am clueless on scoring age based on teeth though. Other than if they are just about worn down to nothing I know it is probably an old deer or one with a drug problem.:smile:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This might help you out a bit, Dan. Jaw bone on the left is a 3.5 yr old... jaw bone on the right is a 2.5 yr old. I know, they look the same, but they're not. Pay special attention to the first molar (4th tooth from the top)... lingual crest (inside half of tooth, next to tongue) is where you want to compare the wear. 2.5 yr old, the dentine (dark stuff) on the lingual crest is slightly less the width of the enamel. 3.5 yr old, the dentine is slightly wider or just as wide as the width of the enamel. One other thing that gives it away, that you can't really see from this picture, is the back cusp of the last molar... it's cupped and worn down farther on the 3.5 yr old tooth than on the 2.5 yr old. Also, when you run your finger down the lingual crests of a 2.5 yr old, they're gonna feel pretty sharp. They start to get dull when they hit 3.5 and above.

P1010601.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread, man. Just thought this could be some useful information to you in the future. Again, great story and a great buck.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Hey Dan, you forgot to mention my phone call to you after I heard the news and saw the picture! LOL, Congrats my brother!