Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Outdoor Adventures 15-16

Buckmaster

Portage
Friday I pulled my boy from school and he and our dog went to Deer Camp. Heck with work at work and at home...it's hunting season.....time to take a break from work.
My goal.....get boy a deer and get 11 month old dog some real deer to smell.

I figured I better do it now before it gets too cold out for a young man.

Friday eve we get to our elevated ground blind at 4 pm and find a deer under it. Scare it away and we hope it would come back in an hour.
Two hours later.....it comes back and blows at us 5 times from the plot edge. I could not see it as it was parallel to us and its very windy with swirling winds. I'm guessing a smart Mamma doe.

Saturday morning we sat in another ground blind overlooking another clover plot. Got blanked.

Saturday evening we went back to the previous elevated blind as we hunted the night before. I know deer frequent that plot every night.

Boy is ready......

Attachments

• Hunt 1.jpg
    Hunt 1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 299

Buckmaster

Portage
Our view.......

At 5 pm.....the boy says, "I hear one coming."

A minute later......I hear rustling in the leaves below us....then out pops a young doe.

I ask my son...."Son, that's a small deer. It's Mom is probably on its way......let's watch this deer for a while and see if she comes out."

Boy's reply: "ÖK"

A couple minutes elapse and the boy's anxiety is getting the best of him.

I ask again...."Do you want that deer?"

The boy shakes his head, "Yes."

To my reply: "OK".

The small doe is broadside at 20 yards as it receives a 2 blade Rage. She leaps and runs off 30 yards and proceeds to bed down in the nearby woods. She expires a minute later.

I said to the boy...."well, there's your deer."

He replies...."Dad, my legs are still shaking....."

Attachments

• Hunt 4.jpg
    Hunt 4.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 291

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Fantastic, Ben! Congratulations to all, including the dog! That is how its supposed to work!