Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bullet fragment

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This is the first time I've ever bit down on a bullet fragment in my deer meat (burger).
IMG_20180612_171423676_LL.jpg

Reactions: brock ratcliff

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
With the resilience of a white tail, god knows there’s a lot worse things you could have found.

Glad you did not swollow. :unsure:

Reactions: Mike

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve had my fare share of shot from rabbit meat but I can honestly say I’ve never had a bullet fragment from deer meat.... Hopefully that’s your last one as well...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good thing my rages don't do that[emoji23][emoji23]

Well yea, they bounce back out... so no worries there. [emoji23]

---

This is one reason why I prefer a copper solid bullet for deer. No fragments. I shoot so many birds and waterfowl each year... I have enough pellets to worry about. Don't need them showing up in my venison too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys obviously haven't killed many deer with the Remington Copper Solid sabots. LOL Pretty much a guarantee to get a little of that "grit" in your burger. That's why I stopped shooting them actually. Happened a lot.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You guys obviously haven't killed many deer with the Remington Copper Solid sabots. LOL Pretty much a guarantee to get a little of that "grit" in your burger. That's why I stopped shooting them actually. Happened a lot.

I used copper solids for about a decade or so and never had an issue. Guess I was lucky.... Rabbits and squirrels were the issue...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Must be the fact that you're a one shot, one kill kinda guy and I'm an empty the gun kind of feller! :ROFLMAO:

I tell you what was also bad about it, Powerbelts. I think every deer I ever killed with one had a fragment in it somewhere.

Reactions: "J"

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

That is weird. Never seen a solid copper slug fragment. But I've only got experience with Barnes and Federal.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not just you Jesse. I shot a total of one deer with one. It was a frontal shot on the ground that entered right of center and exploded in the shoulder. Tiny bits of copper everywhere.

I had the same luck with powerbelts. I grind everything but the backstraps and trim out anything that's bloodshot or even looks like a wound. Butchered a deer that Travis shot at strouds with a powerbelt and found bits of copper jacket and lead behind the grinder plate on cleanup. Had to pitch the whole deer because I do all of my grinding at once and the whole thing was contaminated with lead and copper shavings.