Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bullet selection with a 45-70, for coyotes?

Given the ballistic speeds of a 45-70, the likely possibility of a 300 gr. JHP opening up on a coyote are slim to none. Even if a larger bone(s) were hit, a coyote just doesn't have the mass for good bullet expansion, considering the size and lack of speed of a bullet...out of a 45-70.

It's with this thought that I'm considering using a heavier cast bullet, for increased accuracy vs. a lighter jacketed bullet that would only produce...at best, another 200+ f.p.s.

I'm open to bullet types (jacketed vs. cast) and weights.
(This is a Marlin 1895 Cowboy w/ 26" octagon barrel and open sights.)

I appreciate your experiences and suggestions.
Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hornady 250 grain. Haven't shot a yore with it but it makes an absolute mess out of small deer. :)

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A 45 caliber punched through the vitals of anything is enough. I've always used a 240 gr flat nose cast bullet for deer and shot 23 one shot kills with a pistol. A 45-70 would be better.

Rastus

Given the ballistic speeds of a 45-70, the likely possibility of a 300 gr. JHP opening up on a coyote are slim to none. Even if a larger bone(s) were hit, a coyote just doesn't have the mass for good bullet expansion, considering the size and lack of speed of a bullet...out of a 45-70.

It's with this thought that I'm considering using a heavier cast bullet, for increased accuracy vs. a lighter jacketed bullet that would only produce...at best, another 200+ f.p.s.

I'm open to bullet types (jacketed vs. cast) and weights.
(This is a Marlin 1895 Cowboy w/ 26" octagon barrel and open sights.)

I appreciate your experiences and suggestions.
Bowhunter57

If my first priority was coyotes I wouldn't have thought of the 45-70 first. I bought one whatever year they first became legal in Ohio for deer. I've shot a couple different types of factory ammo through it and was pretty underwhelmed by the performance. I decided after a couple years that a 12 gauge sabot or a .50 cal. muzzleloader was still the best option for gun season. I've since talked to some guys that re-loaded 45-70 and they swear they can load some real high performance ammo for them and that I had just bought some junk. (I remember paying $60 for a box of 20 once. It should have been heat seeking!) I be interested in how things go for you with that rifle and what you are shooting through it. Let us know how it goes. I'd like to get mine back out sometime.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've taken 4 one shot kills with the 45-70 in the last 3 years. To try something new I have been reloading the Hornady plastic tip levermatic bullet. I will continue using the same bullet in the 45-70.
I switched to the 460 S&W Mag TC Encore barrel this year to get a flatter bullet path. Plus I'm reloading the same Hornady levermatic plastic bullet in the 460 S&W. I cut the bullet path by 50%.
FYI most purchased 45-70 ammo is loaded to a Springfield Trapdoor velocity for safety reasons and it's slow as hell. Modern Marlin rifles can fire decent velocity loads.