Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Butchering

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My wife is from a tight knit German Catholic family. He grandmother was one of 18 kids and one of her sisters had 18 kids. The sister that had 18, her family leads the charge from raising to butchering. It's been going on for generations. I feel privileged to be part of it. They welcomed me with open arms when they saw I could drink beer, butcher and not get hurt! lmao
18 kids? I'd hate Christmas shopping. I'd love the sweetbreads, brains and whatever else thy shoveled in front of me. Not too much on animals I wont eat. Excluding the grinding, I had everything cut up , vacuum sealed, and cleaned up by 2:45 yesterday. Kids got off the bus at 3:10, so I waited til 6pm to grind about 50lbs of sausage up. I still have to vacuum seal that whenever I get motivated this morning

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
these first 2 pics were the whole hog minus the front legs, which I had already removed. As you can see, same as a deer

This pic just shows the front legs. One I had removed the roast's boneless for the in-laws. One larger and 1 smaller. The other leg I cleaned up by trimming it and just cut through it at the elbow area. Those are for me, as I like to keep them on the bone for smoking or the roaster.

I have a couple more pics but my computer and photobucket hate each other right now. Anyhow, this time I did this Pig like a deer, except the sawing through bones. When we want bacon, I will take the time to remove the whole side to take to the processor