Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Camo Colors.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
While researching around on patterns for out west I came across a thought provoking statement by I believe it was the ASAT brown people. They said if green was such a great color for camo then every prey and predator would have some green colorations, instead the evolved color trait is shades of brown and black.

This got me thinking. Everything in nature that's trying to hide is a shade of brown. The only green I can think of is male peacocks and mallards. And the reason they're green is to attract a mate, to stand out and be noticed. Their female counterparts who need to hide to protect their young are brown.

Damn you realtree. Damn you.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Things that make you go...

tenor (3).gif

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
While researching around on patterns for out west I came across a thought provoking statement by I believe it was the ASAT brown people. They said if green was such a great color for camo then every prey and predator would have some green colorations, instead the evolved color trait is shades of brown and black.

This got me thinking. Everything in nature that's trying to hide is a shade of brown. The only green I can think of is male peacocks and mallards. And the reason they're green is to attract a mate, to stand out and be noticed. Their female counterparts who need to hide to protect their young are brown.

Damn you realtree. Damn you.
If you’re trying to convince yourself to buy some ASAT, do it. It’s good stuff.

Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great excuse! Most of today’s patterns are no more effective than a standard set of grey coveralls.

Reactions: CJD3

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got a few ASAT pieces. It's a great all around camo, but especially effective on the ground in marshy conditions like cattail or reed canarygrass.

Reactions: Jackalope

Fletch

Supporting Member
As far as the BEST CAMO??? Gotta believe what the major camo manufacturer's say is best, as they are looking out for your best interest... NOT !!!!! Quick story.... Back in 2003 my brother and I went on a DIY deer hunt to an outfitter out in Iowa... While we were there a major camo company was in camp filming a hunter... Seems they weren't having much luck and my brother on the other hand shot a 163 inch 10 point on his first sit... Gorgeous typical 10 point that weighed 285 lbs dressed... Well next morning they (camo company) came over and want to do an interview with my brother... They first handed him a nice new set of their camo and asked if he would wear it for the interview... He was wearing ASAT when he shot the deer, NOT THEIRS...

I originally laughed at him when he got ASAT, that is until one day he walked up behind me while I was on stand... He whistled and when I turned around to see who it was, I could not pick him out till he waved... He was only 50 yds away!!!! I'm ordering some this week for this years Illinois trip as I'm putting up a 12ft high tri-pod in the middle of a CRP field that has cedars mixed in... Going to nestle that stand in three cedars and with all the brown CRP I should blend in nicely....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I like the looks of it an how it works in the field.

Joe, Your original post about the color green is still bugging me... Makes a lot of sense,

Reactions: Jackalope
I think you are right joe. In ohio unless it is late spring to early fall the woods is a pretty brown gray and tan place. Especially if you are hunting on the ground. If you are turkey hunting or early season deer hunting patterns with more greens would make sense.

I find it funny that a lot of the high end camo patterns resemble patterns from the 70's and 80's bow hunter magazines. Just shows that ideas come full circle. The wide band geometric patterns seem to to have a lot of merit in breaking up the human silhouette. I always thought the 90's and 00's realtree and mossy patterns that tried to replicate trees and sticks was an odd way of blending in. In recent years they have really opened up those patterns starting with realtree apg.

I just wear multicam ocp uniforms out here. It is the prefect color for easter WA, marshes and the mountains. The multicam is inexpensive, durable and have well thought out pockets. Even in the evergreen forests multicam blends in pretty well. Evergreen forests are dark and lack undergrowth. Other than moss and lucien eight feet and down is brown.

Reactions: giles and "J"

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well research what colors deer see - red and black plaid would work just as good if not better then the modern stuff -

Your generation killed a lot of deer wearing nothing more. I still remember Gramp's wool, black an red plat coat and pants. Killed a couple deer myself wearing some too. ( well the coat. I was to fat to wear the pants. lol)

Reactions: Sgt Fury