Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Canning: it isn't just for gatherers

I had my first batch of canned squirrel just the other morning before Jamie and I went rabbit hunting. Best biscuits and gravy I have ever had.

I've been canning venison for 5 or 6 years now, Since Jamie showed me how. My wife loves the canned venison because it is so tender. Also you can have a meal ready in no time just pour it over rice or noodles.

Going to try squirrel pot pie next

Reactions: Mike

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm a lawn mower/snow plow jockey. Not sure if that is above or below painter. Also around 1/2 notch above caveman.

Bringing this to the top. Killed my doe. Put her in the cooler. Prepping it now. Plan on canning majority of it tomorrow. Mainly because I checked the freezer and we really don't need anymore burger or roast. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Such a great thread. Well worth TTT.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I been canning venison the last couple years. I would have never realized how versatile it is. You have the obvious quick recipes like beef n noodles, meat for soups. But ill open a jar, lay in a bowl, sprinkle some cumin and chili powder, heat up, and you have some delicious fajita meat. Add to mushroom soup and serve over rice. Stroganoff is another

djohn9713

I did some maple jalapenos about a month or so ago. Gave 3 jars away bc I was proud of them, taste so good I'm on my second jar myself. Next year I'll do way more. Delicious

I need that recipe. Did a bunch of canning this summer, but haven't done venison yet as I don't have a pressure cooker.

Jamie

Ohio
here's a picture of me prepping for the doomsday virus. :ROFLMAO: 80-90 squirrels, will yield about 35 quarts, plus about 5 dozen back legs segregated for buffalo woodland wings. I'll can my venison shanks today, too. three canners full and running with about an hour to go. as soon as they're done and cooled down enough to open, I'll start the second run.

IMG_2754.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
I’ve canned some sugar cube size chunks which otherwise would have been ground. Good for chili, stew, and soup. My wife won’t consider it as it’s meat that sits on a shelf in the basement. It’s good cold straight from the can simply self spoon feeding. Guess she’ll be the one that grows hungry.

Reactions: Isaacorps and Mike