Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Capt had his first encounter

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That is awesome bro. I'm glad I could help out a little and get you on some property and a few deer. I'm just helping the addiction along buddy lol. Like I told you today...it's there and open to you whenever you have the free time to go play. I think when you called I was just as excited as you was just listening to you tell the days events and that's what it's all about :D.

rrr

RC - it was great to walk that property with you and even just stand around and shoot the shit. Don't get to do that much and I enjoyed it!

--

Yea, I'll be going on in the morning, going to hunt a different farm that has had a lot of morning movement and then guess where my happy little ass will be at 2pm? Yup...same spot for round 2!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Welcome to the Club Steve!

Glad you had such a great time and had the opp. to experience the thrill. (Great , ain't it?)

Best of luck! and be careful !

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Had a good time BS'ing and walking the property as well Steve. Good luck tomorrow and I hope to hear a phone call and another great story.

Just toss out that shank today and hunt each deer and each shot as it comes and you will have a good time out there :D.

Note to self:

Hang another stand in the north block of the woods for the next Cap't homecoming hunt :D.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
DAng steve i am sorry i missed your call...that sound exciting as hell man. Very happy for you. you can probably resharpen that practice head with a small hand held knife sharpener. the one that ate ground is prolly hosed blade wise. let me know and i will get you some more...

rrr

It was an unbelievable experience - that was by far my best deer hunt ever, including those that I've harvest with a gun. That was such a thrill. It is such a different game with deer moving naturally and the woods being quiet.

I am so hooked. In the words of Hoymania - "Ernie, if you pick up a bow you will be a crack head"

Milo

Tatonka guide.
gun season has its role for sure in management but i pity those that never get to experience natural deer movement. huge fuggin chess match. gosh ernie we got stick bows to move too next:smiley_breakdance:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I am happy for you brother! Glad you had a good hunt! My favorite line of the whole story has to be:

Mine was where he typed "Cum".... LOL.. I was reading along and read "I just let her cum"..... OOPS.... LOL

You're right.. I would have shot her straight down. And again if necessary.. But you'll have time for that. Good thing you waited. It's not as easy a shot as we make it out to be. Crazy feeling falling apart like that isn't it. Legs start shaking, can't control you breathing, heart racing. I always said. Now I know what my wife feels like when I'm on my A game. LOL

Good that you learned to pull it together right before the moment before the shot. That's a BIG key and I'm surprised you got it so quick.

Happy for you man. Keep at it.. It will happen. And when it does, you will not be able to stop that shaking for a half hour.

Fuggin Awesome! The day I quit shaking bowhunting Is the day I quit.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Excellent thread guys! Way to go Stevie! Even though you missed her you said you learned a few things. That's what it's all about. Great gesture on Adam and Milos part in getting you on some deer/property. Can't wait to hear about tomorrows hunting adventure so keep us updated. Just a helpful tip to control the nerves that I read the other day: When the moment is upon you to make your shot, try to stay focused on your shooting form, but after confirming what your shot distance is. Most importantly keep your back tension taunt as if your pushing your bow toward the deer and your release arm back away from the deer. This usually steadies your pin before releasing the arrow. Pick a spot/hair where you feel is in the middle of the kill zone and just concentrate on making the best shot possible(form wise) and according to Terry Wunderle this will help take the anxiety away which is known as, "buck fever". Welcome to the most awesome experience in the world Steve! Goodluck and we're all pulling for ya! Oh, Terry Wunderle's article was in last months issue of NAW about 8 pages in.

rrr

Jack - that line in the story was for you...

I want some more! Gearing up and headed out. This hobby does not mix with my college schedule - my body thinks it should have gotten into bed a two hours or so ago and this is prime sleep time. Oh well

Kaiser878

ohio
Cotty - first bow hunt ever.

First bow hunt after being a HUGE bow-basher years ago on OS, I should add.

Way to go Steve-O. Glad to see you finally joined the right side of the clan. Sounds like Adam put you in the hotspot. IT doesnt get much better than that. One question, were you sporting a semi??? hahaha

ANd to justify the quoted post, Yes Ol' Steve-O used to be a bow basher. He and I used to have some serious arguments on OS. Im glad he finally saw it my way! haha