Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Carry?

Do you carry???

• I carry everyday or whenever possible.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I carry when I feel like I need to.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I would like to get my CHL but haven't

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I have no interest in carrying...pass the Cheetos

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I spoke at the state house in support of the CCW bill back in college when I was running the OU gun club. When it passed, I had to have been among the first people in the state to get my permit, then I let it expire. :smiley_depressive: I carried when I lived in Kent and worked in Akron. I even risked my job by carrying at work when I closed because we often had meth addicts in there lifting product late at night and I'll be damned if I was going to end up hogtied behind the coutner. (Happened to the assitant manager two before me.) But when I moved home, I never carried because I never felt the need.

I plan on purchasing two pistols with out income taxes and taking the class again, this time with Tracie. I still don't feel the need to carry, but so much has changed. We now have recipriocity that we didn't have early on and I feel the need to get it before we are not allowed to carry any longer. And I miss shooting and carrying from time to time. One of my 2011 goals is to get back into shooting and if I get my carry permit, that will follow...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just as an FYI. If you and Tracie go at the same time Safety First in Springfield has a deal where if you pay she gets to go for free. $100 total for the both of you.

I have carried full time for a while now and hardly notice the gun. I have a bad habit of telling myself to "f" the law and carry in Criminal Protection Zones but usually don't. My reasoning is that if I need it then I would rather be in trouble for carrying illegally than have something extreme happen. I don't do it because I am the guy with the luck of someone finding out and then get in trouble for doing it.

Sending out for my Florida permit in the spring. It gives me more states that I can carry in that I travel frequently in Spring and Summer.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Everyday. Why? Because I can. It only takes one situation where you wished you could have protected your family to make you want to carry everyday. Have I encountered this situation? Fortunately, no. However, there have been plenty of robberies/burgularies and home invasions in the area to know it is just a matter of time before someone I know is going to be in harm's way. One place many do not carry is in their home. I know of several people that have been broken into, including a guy down the road that was duct taped to his own kitchen chair. I carried in my own house on Thanksgiving. I don't care. Some jackass wants to try to come into my home and endanger my family, it is not going to be fun for either one of us. Don't kid yourselves. Even if you do the right thing and protect yourself and your family, it will be a life changing moment if you ever have to take someone's life.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I used to carry everyday, now I only carry when I feel like I need to. However, I'm going to get back in the habit of carrying everyday. I carry a full size Sig 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I don't notice that I'm carrying except for a slight sag on my strong side. In fact now that I'm typing this I feel ashamed that I no longer carry everyday. I hope I never need to use it, but in case I should need I'll be glad I have it.

BTW, I carried the other day when we went to the zoo to see the lights. On the way up we stopped at Skyline. I told my wife that we wouldn't be back to eat there again and she said "Why, because they have a no gun sign?" "Yes", I said. Also, I was disapointed to see the no gun stickers on the parking booths at the zoo. Fuckers! This reminds me that I need to order some "No Guns No Money" cards from BFA.

Last edited:

rrr

I just read an article tonight that Columbus reached 100 homicides for this year. For me, sometime between my neighbor being shot in the line of duty by a pot head and those three bodies being found 15 minutes from my house...I think it's a great idea. My dad and brother recently got their CCW's but neither carry yet, they are opting until they purchase smaller guns to carry. I turn 21 in a few days and I'm sad to admit that I won't be buying a pistol on my birthday, but one will come after tax returns, and I will get my CCW as well.

A question for those of you that carry all the time - other than the 'sag' that John described - how else does it effect your daily life? This came as a surprise to me, my brother got pulled over last week (at 2am for a broken license light) and the first question he was asked was "Is there a weapon in the car?" because they had ran his information and it came up under his name or dad's. [Incidentally about 95% of the time I'm in my truck there is a firearm of some kind behind the seat or in the back]

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So far I have avoided getting my CCW. The main reason is my kids are still in college and driving vehicles in my name. I don't want there to be issues if they are pulled over and the cop thinks the driver is carrying.

Oldest son recently got his own car, the second one will probably have one by next Christmas.

There are very few times I feel the need, most of the times where I feel the need I can't carry anyways. However I'm real close to getting the permit just so the few time I feel the need it would be available.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*

"Sending out for my Florida permit in the spring. It gives me more states that I can carry in that I travel frequently in Spring and Summer."

Been, As far as I know, there is reciprocity between Ohio and FL. Your ccw should be honored here. Is there some new thing I don't know about? Every map I have seen shows FL and Ohio being buddies...:smiley_bestfriends:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.

"Sending out for my Florida permit in the spring. It gives me more states that I can carry in that I travel frequently in Spring and Summer."

Been, As far as I know, there is reciprocity between Ohio and FL. Your ccw should be honored here. Is there some new thing I don't know about? Every map I have seen shows FL and Ohio being buddies...:smiley_bestfriends:

Florida most likely has reciprocity with a state that Ohio does not, therefore, Beener would pick up reciprocity with other states that he can't with his Ohio permit.

Buckrun

I had my license it expired in Feb. of 09. I took the class afain in Mar. of 09 but still havent went to the sherriff office to get the license. Just haven't had the time or money. I have been thinking about getting up there and getting it done this month.

I didn't carry that much when I did have it. Mostly in the winter. Summer is hard but that is when you will probably need it. Plus I am not aloud to have a weapon in my truck when at work.
Steve

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I had my license it expired in Feb. of 09. I took the class afain in Mar. of 09 but still havent went to the sherriff office to get the license. Just haven't had the time or money. I have been thinking about getting up there and getting it done this month.

I didn't carry that much when I did have it. Mostly in the winter. Summer is hard but that is when you will probably need it. Plus I am not aloud to have a weapon in my truck when at work.
Steve

The state legislature is trying to fix that.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Yep I carry in the house until time for bed...most of the time.

Beentown

Interesting note I reading a while back was that "professional" will hit a home or do a forced entry around dinner time or during that first hour or two from getting home from work.The concept was that many people don't set an alarm until getting ready to shut down for the evening or bed time. They are busy getting settled in and doing stuff thats been on their mind from work...

It made sense to me and has made me more aware. Take it for whats it worth.

Although my work will not allow any sort of "weapon" on the grounds(including a knife...:smiley_depressive:), I do carry almost everywhere allowed when home and around town and yes in the home many times. Although living in a somewhat rural area reduces the chances of a "situation" as compared to a city environment, I feel the "situation" will also have graver consequences because of the same setting IF something were to occur.

I also rely on a 125 lb dog as a deterrent to someone considering. A large rottie can cause a bad guy to just try an easier target I believe.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I also rely on a 125 lb dog as a deterrent to someone considering. A large rottie can cause a bad guy to just try an easier target I believe.

I wouldn't say I rely on this, but ol' Brutus has a great bark which is always a nice early indicator of something going on when you live in a rural area. Half the time I fall asleep in the recliner or on the couch, so I guess I could say I carry dang near 24hrs a day at times. haha

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am going to get my Florida because it opens up more states to me as JJ has stated. Was going to go with Utah but some states are having some issues with there non-resident permits. Florida is the safe bet for now.

Here is a map that shows where what licenses are good where. Just click on the state and a map pulls up. Great resource. I am getting Florida because it opens up so many more States:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Question for you guys that only carry sometimes.

Do you only wear your seat belt when you think you're going to need it?

A personal protection firearm doesn't do you or your family any good at home on the nightstand guys... Carry like your life might depend on it.