Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCI Stingers

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
call this a product review if you like...

I went to the range yesterday to sight in my kids .22 (I put a new scope on it)
While I was there, I shot a few CCI stingers..... hated em.

when you look at the box you will see "hypervelocity", and "varmint". thats what peaked my interest. the 1640 FPS sounded cool too. But when I was keeping 1" groups with the CCI velociters and expanded out to 6 or 7 inch groups with the stingers, I wasnt impressed. they make a really cool sounding CRACK when they are fired, and they get to the target fast, but if you have to sacrifice accuracy I think I will stick with the velociters.

just my 2 cents

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
call this a product review if you like...

I went to the range yesterday to sight in my kids .22 (I put a new scope on it)
While I was there, I shot a few CCI stingers..... hated em.

when you look at the box you will see "hypervelocity", and "varmint". thats what peaked my interest. the 1640 FPS sounded cool too. But when I was keeping 1" groups with the CCI velociters and expanded out to 6 or 7 inch groups with the stingers, I wasnt impressed. they make a really cool sounding CRACK when they are fired, and they get to the target fast, but if you have to sacrifice accuracy I think I will stick with the velociters.

just my 2 cents

They shoot like shit out of my Marlin Mod 60.. I had a 4-12 powered scope on it on the bench at 50 yards, and they would print 7 inch groups. WTF that's like 14 moa. LOL

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
They shoot good out of my Remington 572, never tried them in any of my other .22s. They do have a reputation of either shooting really good or really bad. They are however extremely effective on game, unless it is something you want to eat.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They shoot good out of my Remington 572, never tried them in any of my other .22s. They do have a reputation of either shooting really good or really bad. They are however extremely effective on game, unless it is something you want to eat.

Well I Be.. SAM. Nice to see you.. Kick up yer feet bud, Stay a while. :)

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Stingers do well in my 10/22. I prefer CCI standard velocity for most other shooting. They are accurate in all of my pistols/rifles. Magic .22???:smiley_chinrub:

Beentown

haleybrock

CCI mini mags shoot good out of my remington 541T. They are the 40 gr. I can shoot 8-10 shots at 50 yds and be about an inch. The newer 36 gr don't shoot near as good.

dante322,
Most hyper-velocity ammo has accuracy that sucks. As with centerfire rifles, when you start reloading hotter ammo the accuracy is the first thing to suffer.

Rimfire ammo is and always has been a variable from rifle to rifle. Anytime I purchase a rimfire rifle, I'll purchase 3 or 4 boxes of different brands of ammo to see what that rifle likes. If you get lucky, your rifle will like the cheap stuff. :smiley_bril:

I've had good accuracy with High Velocity ammo, as opposed to Hyper velocity anything, so I don't even purchase it any more. :smiley_chinrub:

I have a Savage .22 bolt action with an accu-trigger, synthetic stock, standard barrel and a Barska 3x12 scope. It will shoot Remington Golden Bullet HP ammo in a 1 hole group at 40 yards...all day. :smiley_blink: It also likes Remington Sub-Sonics...with the same accuracy, but quieter. :smiley_beard:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I've heard of the subsonics but havent seen them, I'll have to look a little harder. Right now I shoot the cci velociters and they seem to be reasonable through my 597.

If you can find the Winchester Power Point

Not as fast as the Hyper velosity stuff , only 1280FPS
But they are a full 40 gr , so they pack a nice punch

In the Marlin 39A and the 10/22 they shoot great

John

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've heard of the subsonics but havent seen them, I'll have to look a little harder. Right now I shoot the cci velociters and they seem to be reasonable through my 597.

Look at the .22 CB shorts and longs. Same charge different cases. They are between 350 and 700 fps depending on the brand... QUIET.. I think they are quieter than a pellet gun when fired from a rifle.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I wonder if a bull barrel would make any difference in the high velocity stuff or if its just to much powder.

Again, Anyone like the Green Tag amo?

In all the pistols and rifles I have owned
Non have shot Green Tag especaily well
But some of the bullseye shooters in the club use it and shoot good groups

Try Eley Standard

Last time I bought a brick , it was almost exactly the same price
And in the 10/22 it will dot the eye of a tree rat from a long way out if I do my part

John

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Eley is good stuff. For everyday shooting I love CCI Standard fodder. Good price for exceptional ammo. Plus, it won't hurt my older semi autos.

Beentown