Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCW and Handguns

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
On Taurus.

I re-read my post and I sound different than I meant to come across. I have been burnt by Taurus so I am a bit bias. Shoot em all and let your hand sort it out!

Beentown

P.S. Customer Service can be an important component in a purchase. The companies that I know are good at service are:

Smith and Wesson
Ruger (no warranty but they take care of everything)
Springfield Armory
Kel-tec
Colt
Hi-Point

P.S.S Kahr has horrible responces for their customer service. I am still going to get one.

What are you looking for?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
rgecko23

the XD9 is the gun I want to get. Sure i could spend 200 on a Highpoint, or 250 on a S&W,
You should have bought a 250 s&w and sold it for 100+ profit to go towards the one you wanted. Can't think of too many in the price range mentioned. The XD's have really found a very loyal following. I have not heard anyone say one bad thing about them yet. I need to look into them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On Taurus.

I re-read my post and I sound different than I meant to come across. I have been burnt by Taurus so I am a bit bias. Shoot em all and let your hand sort it out!

Beentown

P.S. Customer Service can be an important component in a purchase. The companies that I know are good at service are:

Smith and Wesson
Ruger (no warranty but they take care of everything)
Springfield Armory
Kel-tec
Colt
Hi-Point

P.S.S Kahr has horrible responces for their customer service. I am still going to get one.

I didn't take it wrong.. To each their own. I know of three guys that own a gen III Mil pro and none of them have problems. I am just of the belief that every gun can have issues. Especially the first generation of a new design. Google Ruger LCP. The first result under the pictures is an article called "Fixing the Ruger LCP" It even shows up above the wikipedia page.. Yet people have bought these LCPs like hotcakes. So much so that gun has single handedly led to the shortage of 380 ammo. Yet they have had 2 recalls and have been plagued by numerous issues in the early generations.. Ruger still has some issues with them but nothing like before.

Yet for some reason people buy them in droves and keep relatively quiet about the problems they're having.. If the same happened to a Taurus gun, people would badmouth them for a decade...

Happens to everything... I have a first year Chevy Colorado. The truck replaced the S-10. I swear that truck is addicted to wrenches. I have however been told the next year model was much better and the year after that even better. First model anything sucks.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You should have bought a 250 s&w and sold it for 100+ profit to go towards the one you wanted. Can't think of too many in the price range mentioned. The XD's have really found a very loyal following. I have not heard anyone say one bad thing about them yet. I need to look into them.

You can find the Sigma everywhere for $249. Probably the one he is talking about. Glock copy that glock sued and one over.

Beentown

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio

Cap't Ernie,
I highly recommend shooting the CCW that you intend to carry BEFORE purchasing it. Go to an indoor range, spend the money for their fees of ammo and range time, as it will be money and time well spent. When you think about how much you may spend on a handgun, you're going to want to get a good one and make the right purchase the first time.

I was bent on purchasing a 45acp, but after shooting several configurations of this caliber the recoil can be brutal in sub-compact frames. I settled in on 40 S&W, 9mm in semi-autos and .357 Mag. and .38 spl. in snub-nosed revolvers.

Some things to consider:
* Large calibers and small handguns do NOT mix.
* More ammo is better than a larger caliber.
* Comfort for carrying is important.
* Practise with what you carry AND the clothes you'll be wearing while carrying.
* If you're going to carry a "mouse gun" empty it. (.380 caliber or less)
* Double taps are Hollywood stuff. Shoot 'em to the ground.

Here are some informative forums:
www.concealedcarryforum.com/forum
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/forum2/
www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin
www.warriortalk.com

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cap't Ernie,
I highly recommend shooting the CCW that you intend to carry BEFORE purchasing it. Go to an indoor range, spend the money for their fees of ammo and range time, as it will be money and time well spent. When you think about how much you may spend on a handgun, you're going to want to get a good one and make the right purchase the first time.

I was bent on purchasing a 45acp, but after shooting several configurations of this caliber the recoil can be brutal in sub-compact frames. I settled in on 40 S&W, 9mm in semi-autos and .357 Mag. and .38 spl. in snub-nosed revolvers.

Some things to consider:

* Comfort for carrying is important.
* Practise with what you carry AND the clothes you'll be wearing while carrying.
* If you're going to carry a "mouse gun" empty it. (.380 caliber or less)
* Double taps are Hollywood stuff. Shoot 'em to the ground.

Here are some informative forums:
www.concealedcarryforum.com/forum
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/forum2/
www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin
www.warriortalk.com

I hate to keep harping on this gun but. Have you shot a Taurus Mil pro in .45. It kicks less than my full sized 45 with a 5 inch barrel.. I'm convinced it's due to the short 3.27 inch barrel. A .45 round is almost 3/4 of an inch long. Meaning that bullet only has 2.52 inches of barrel to travel. Very light recoil comparatively. Heck. I think the Baretta 9mm kicks harder than this gun.. As far as the more ammo part it holds 10 in the mag 1 in the pipe. That's 11 rounds of .45 in a subcompact frame... IMO I would take that over a 16-19 round 9mm any day. The only reason i would consider a 9mm would be because i have a Kel-Tec SUB-2000 that takes Glock Mags. Meaning i could have the SUB-2000 as a truck gun with the glock mag in my console. That is as long as i had a glock that the mag would fit in. See your CCW only covers handguns. If I was to have that rifle in my truck with a loaded mag in the console it's not covered under my CCW as allowable. But if i have a handgun that mag will fit. I'm good, as it can not be proven the mag is for the rifle.

It folds up nicely

And can be ready to rock with the push of a button

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

I don't agree. Especially regarding the comparison of .40 and .45 The forty is a lot worse for me recoil wise than a 45. The quoted above will be debated until we are using phasers.

The rest is very true IMHO. Shoot them all and one caliber/type will speak to you.

Beentown

Last edited:

rrr

Planning on it.

My dad and brother did get their CCW's and there's probably going to be a one or two S&W Bodyguard 380's bought too- they shot them and love 'em.

Beentown said:
Especially regarding the comparison of .40 and .45 The forty is a lot worse for me recoil wise than a 45. The quoted above will be debated until we are using phasers.
Beentown
Beentown,
I agree...sort of, about the .40. Most people that mention the .40 being "snappy" or having a lot of muzzle flip, have shot it in a Glock. I'm one of those people and I've noticed the recoil being more managable in other handguns that have less composite materials.

I shot a Glock 36 (sub-compact 45acp) and it beat my hand up, pretty good. Enough for me to not want to shoot one, much less purchase one. However, I know a deputy sheriff that swears by his 36, but he's a stocky and stout built man.

Individual build of the shooter will make for huge variables in likes and dislikes. Therefore the huge gap in "what works" for each person. I guess we can all be glad that there are so many choices to be had in a handgun. :smiley_blink: If we all had to shoot 1911s, there would be some very unhappy shooters in the crowd. :smiley_depressive:

One things for sure...when it comes to CCW choices...and that is, there are a whole lot of choices. What makes sense to one person makes no sense to the next person. CCW is very personal, but that's what makes it so much fun. :smiley_cheer:

blemas

Summit County
My EDC is a USP45 Compact in a Milt sparks Versamax II holster. Get a good holster AND a good belt. Whatever you do, do NOT spend a bunch of cash on a Galco bet, go down to Sugarcreek and stop in to RW Leather. Pick up a good belt made from the saddle leather, I have one that is 6 years old and looks brand new.

As far as the caliber and weapon choice, my wife had an XD9 Sub Compact, it was nice but she shoots my USP much better.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My carry list...
- Ruger SP101 .357 (FIST slide)
- Springer XD9 9mm (Crossbreed Supertuck)
- Beretta 92 FS 9mm (Milt Sparks VMII)
- CZ 82 9x18 (Uncle Mikes #1 looking for a different one now)
- and soon to be a PM9 (will be a Crossbreed Quickclip)

Belts:
Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt
Loopers Law Enforcement Holster Belt

I practice a lot with each. I carry the Springer 85% of the time. I agree with Blemas that the belt/holster make all th difference in the world.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Another tip that I got and it helped...Just loose a bit of weight and an IWB works great for your current wardrobe. No need to invest in new clothes.

Beentown

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Another tip that I got and it helped...Just loose a bit of weight and an IWB works great for your current wardrobe. No need to invest in new clothes.

Beentown

but beentown I ain't wastin all them good ass ribeyes....