Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cell Phones... Need Suggestions....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok so my cell phone went South last night..... Keeps flashing on and off unable to use finger to open apps.... Green line down screen... So questions for you cell phone gurus... Whats a good cell phone to buy???? Does not have to be something fancy with alot of features or bells and whistles I'll never use.... Not spending close to $1000.00... So heres what I am looking for.... Able to talk, text, go on internet and above all a quality camera,.... Must have a great camera.... Looked quick and kinda picked out two.... Samsung Galaxy S21 5G or Motorolo One 5 G...... Appreciate some suggestions..... Thanks.....

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
The phone I am currently using is a galaxy s 9. I have had one for the past few years. I broke my other one just after Thanksgiving and was looking for one. I laned on Amazon looking at factory refurbished phones. I bought the one I have now for around 250 if i remember correctly. So far so good I don't have any complaints other than it was a little bit of a pain to active onto my sprint account. Something about them having to delete the ccid number on the phone off an old account so I could add it to mine. I don't think it was anything wrong with the rebuilt end just sprint never deleted the old account it was tied to. It prevent stolen phones from being activated onto a new account from what I gathered talking to them.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Google pixel is a good mid range device with a good camera if you are an android person.
I have the Google Pixel 2.... Thought it was a good phone and thought the camera was very good.... Only issue I found even with sound settings up all the way it dint ring very loud....

50+ older crowd? Get an iPhone.....
J my son also said to get an iphone.... Are they easier to use than a Droid..... We are talking basics here, talk, text, internet and camera... No nuclear physics calculations needed.....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Also looking to change providers.... Verizon service sucks in my house..... And thats using WiFi... Called AT&T got some guy in Africa.... Gave me a price of $40.00 with a free phone.... Such A Deal... Call a local AT&T store to verify... Well he forgot to mention line fee's and this and that.. She said $130 a month... GOOD BYE.... Everybody's gotta give you a bullshit line or just plain dont know sit and misquote prices.....

Jamie

Ohio
Patriot Mobile. might be promos available for NRA members. I'm paying $70 a month for two lines with unlimited talk and text, more high speed data than we ever use. customer service 100% in USA. I'm a total hardtard, and I do just fine with iPhone. my iPhone 6s is practically fossilized now, though, lol. I'm riding this pony for as long as I can, then I'm getting a 12.

Patriot Mobile? | The Ohio Outdoors

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I left Apple 8 years ago and haven't regretted it once. I'm on year 3 for a Galaxy S8 Active and it still runs like a top. Never had a case or screen protector and still have the original screen. There's no comparison between Android and Apple when it comes to ease of use IMO. My wife always has something funky going on with her iPhone and I haven't had a single issue since went to Samsung.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I left Apple 8 years ago and haven't regretted it once. I'm on year 3 for a Galaxy S8 Active and it still runs like a top. Never had a case or screen protector and still have the original screen. There's no comparison between Android and Apple when it comes to ease of use IMO. My wife always has something funky going on with her iPhone and I haven't had a single issue since went to Samsung.
I actually had the opposite experience. I was a diehard android user until I made the switch to apple about 4 years ago. I’ve never had any issues whatsoever, on either my iPhones or my iPad mini 4. I really prefer the iOS system over android. For me personally, I think I think it’s easier to use. I will say though that I’ve never owned a “high end” iPhone. I have owned two different SE’s and am now currently on the newly upgraded SE 2. I thinking only paid $400 for current phone, brand new. I would never bring myself to paying 700-1200 bucks on a cell phone. Mine tend to disappear in the marsh or down an ice fishing hole. Lol

Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the Google Pixel 2.... Thought it was a good phone and thought the camera was very good.... Only issue I found even with sound settings up all the way it dint ring very loud....

J my son also said to get an iphone.... Are they easier to use than a Droid..... We are talking basics here, talk, text, internet and camera... No nuclear physics calculations needed.....
Yes, easy too use and user friendly imho....
If your phone was having issues on cell service and WiFi? That’s a phone issue not a carrier issue. WiFi takes them outta the picture from my understanding ....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Patriot Mobile. might be promos available for NRA members. I'm paying $70 a month for two lines with unlimited talk and text, more high speed data than we ever use. customer service 100% in USA. I'm a total hardtard, and I do just fine with iPhone. my iPhone 6s is practically fossilized now, though, lol. I'm riding this pony for as long as I can, then I'm getting a 12.

Patriot Mobile? | The Ohio Outdoors
I have the 6s also. It works great and I have the same plan as you, use it until it doesn’t work anymore then get the 12....but as long as I’ve had this, it may be a iPhone 15 or 16 by the time this phone stops working.😂👍

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I actually had the opposite experience. I was a diehard android user until I made the switch to apple about 4 years ago. I’ve never had any issues whatsoever, on either my iPhones or my iPad mini 4. I really prefer the iOS system over android. For me personally, I think I think it’s easier to use. I will say though that I’ve never owned a “high end” iPhone. I have owned two different SE’s and am now currently on the newly upgraded SE 2. I thinking only paid $400 for current phone, brand new. I would never bring myself to paying 700-1200 bucks on a cell phone. Mine tend to disappear in the marsh or down an ice fishing hole. Lol
The wife just upgraded from a iPhone 5s to a iPhone 12....only cost $600.

Reactions: jagermeister

Fletch

Supporting Member
So my friend had Verizon and AT&T.... Service wasn't bad with either, however there were some dead zones with both.... Last year he switched to Total Wireless at Walmart and is very happy with sevice.... He never had service at his Northern Pa. cabin with Verizon but now has great service.... Service is also great anywhere headed out to Illinois.... Only issue he found was when in Illinois he he called me or anyone he could not go in his contacts and just hit Rich... He had to physically dial the number.... He's paying $60.00 for two lines with unlimited talk and text and I believe he said his got 30 something gigs of internet services.... So I think Ill give them a try... Phone gonna check out some same Samsungs..... As Jagmeister said: No way I'm paying over $500 for a phone... Thanks for all the input guys....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had iPhone 6s till about a month ago and we saw an offer by Verizon that we could upgrade to 12 so my daughters and I got a 12 for $580/ each with trade in. Couldn’t beat that! My 6s was on its 2nd battery and it’s health was down to 86% again and drained terribly fast. Now I’m not dragging my charger and cord with me everywhere especially the woods or outside. New lease on life....🤣😂🤣
Oh, the photo quality worlds apart on clarity and resolution.🤟🏻

Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rich- I went from pixel 2 to Pixel 5. I'm happy with it. Very happy. You can add that to the info you are gathering.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Rich- I went from pixel 2 to Pixel 5. I'm happy with it. Very happy. You can add that to the info you are gathering.
Phil hows the volume on that one??? Might have been my phone but you could barely hear it ring... And sound was turned up.... Thanks Buddy...

Bowkills

Nw oh
send out a massive group text message to your family asking for an old phone. someone should have an old one in a drawer that you could use Internet and take good pics. That's my approach when I need a new one.