Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chad's 2016-17 trapping thread

OO2

In the Uplands
I believe what he is getting at is that the snare shop has 100 deer stops that you can put on yourself for right around $6 last time I looked. Or you can use the wire like he said. Looks about the same to me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I believe what he is getting at is that the snare shop has 100 deer stops that you can put on yourself for right around $6 last time I looked. Or you can use the wire like he said. Looks about the same to me.
Correct, only problem I can see happening with those deer stops is fur damage. Not an issue if your just looking to get rid of the yotes and not sell or tan the fur.

Last edited:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
The deer stops that you can buy from the snare shop are "v" shaped and you crimp them over the wire. I put the point inward which would hopefully lessen fur rubbing off. Isn't that what your concern was?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The deer stops that you can buy from the snare shop are "v" shaped and you crimp them over the wire. I put the point inward which would hopefully lessen fur rubbing off. Isn't that what your concern was?
Ya I was just messing with you because of your half gibberish post lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Step down/trench set

I did clean up most of the dirt laying off to the left side. This set is mere feet from where that coyote walked the other day. I used existing grass for backing and a little dirt. The hole was punched almost straight back, not at an angle. So the yote has to work it from the front.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looks good!
Thanks! Just got permission to trap the rest of the 170 acre farm (previously wasn't aloud because of landowners dogs) so I put 2 more sets in just a little bit ago.

First set is blended in with yote piss and gland on that log. Second set is a mouse hole, baited with mouse paste and a food call lure. Both of those sets are off to the side of the 2 track that goes through the woods and connects with another trail that leads to the alfalfa field. I have seen sign here before and plenty of yotes have had their pics taken on this trail. Sets are 70 yards apart.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Step down/trench set

I did clean up most of the dirt laying off to the left side. This set is mere feet from where that coyote walked the other day. I used existing grass for backing and a little dirt. The hole was punched almost straight back, not at an angle. So the yote has to work it from the front.

Looks good, I leave all the dirt clods I can around the trap. You should have a yote there soon :smiley_bril: