Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Champion generator fix

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil, possible wrong jet in original? She ever run good from day 1?

Nope. Ran great out of box. . . After an hour waiting on phone for the tech to say "use starting fluid." I didn't want to on a brand new unit. Once it fired the first time it was great for a bit. Then this started. They swapped carb under warranty at dealer. One year later and same issue. New carb fixed it again. I've run off propane and gas. It would still run on propane. Makes me think the valve inside the carb gets hung open for propane use only. Like a solenoid or something that won't energize and switch? I don't know. Apparently they don't either because they just send new ones.

Reactions: 5Cent

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The duel fuel thing seems like a good idea, but I hear my dad saying "something else to break". Be interesting to know if that's the correlation, Phil.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hmmmm, interesting. Agreed sounds like its starving like something didn't switch completely.

Is there a special procedure for the switch between fuels? Sounds almost like the carb is being gummed up with old fuel sitting in it while it runs on propane, but your pictures show otherwise.

I always run either seafoam or stabil in all my gas engines and my gennys always get the fuel valve turned off and I let it run till it stalls.

Preaching to a guy who makes a living with gas combustion engines and owns a racing team, just thinking out loud lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Preach it. Plenty I can learn from you and others. I'm nobody special. I can overlook things just as easily as the next guy. Thanks for thinking out loud.

Procedure to swap between fuels is switching a lever. That's it. I dunno. Maybe I will further disassemble the carb.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Received an email today staying the warranty parts are on their way. The warranty claim for carb number #4 was filed Nov 11. I had been just using it on propane and continuing to use it. I had an email written up telling them to stick it when I remembered this thread. @Dustinb80 and @bowhunter1023 these parts are going to sit on my shelf. If one of you needs them they will be labeled and ready. The tech support guy (the helpful one) said he had never heard of ANYONE else having this issue. I seriously think I had a lemon. He and I walked thru the electronics, how it switched between gas/LP, and several other items. Logical guy who was more interested in figuring it out than anything else. Like his own personal challenge to solve the problem. Much better than the other "tech support" phone jockeys following repair prompts.