Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Check this out

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My buddy has one. He brought it down last year and we shot it and patterned it. Not bad for the recommended distance. Especially if you’re around things that you don’t want a round too go through.
Think of it of a BB gun on steroids!

Big H

Medina
Here is my review on the garden gun:

1. Sparrows don't hang around long after you shoot the first one or two inside a building.
2. This is a really cool gun.
3. It works on red squirrels from the bathroom window.
4. It works on sparrows from the bedroom window.
5. It is fun to shoot.
6. I am probably going to be buying more shells before TOO long.
7. Why didn't I get one sooner?
8. Did I mention that it is a really cool gun?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am considering getting one of these too. @Big H Ron, other than the larger and more forgiving pattern, why is this gun better than a pellet rifle? I would think a good air gun would have a lot more range and be much quieter. Is it the ability to shoot inside a barn and not destroy things?

Big H

Medina
I've shot birdshot out of rifled barrels .Does the smooth bore give better range, patterns or ?
A rifled barrel screws up the pattern, so yes the rifling affects the effective range also. Tthere are a couple videos on Youtube explaining it if you just do a search on Henry Garden Gun.

Reactions: tracker 6

Big H

Medina
I am considering getting one of these too. @Big H Ron, other than the larger and more forgiving pattern, why is this gun better than a pellet rifle? I would think a good air gun would have a lot more range and be much quieter. Is it the ability to shoot inside a barn and not destroy things?
Jim,

It's just a different tool. You are correct in everything you said. Larger and more forgiving pattern and the ability to shoot inside of a barn without putting holes in the roof. Effective range is not that far, probably 30-40 feet, I'm guessing. It is not as loud as a .22 long rifle and the new pellet guns are pretty loud anyhow. Plus we have a few of those and I wanted something different. I actually still have the my original Winchester .177 caliber I got when I was about 10 years old and killed a chipmunk with it last year.

Another cool thing about this Henry smoothbore, is that I will be able to shoot those big bumblebees when they are flying around the barn. Also someone makes a Ritz cracker thrower that would be a fun time with this gun. Maybe even flying grasshoppers?

Check out some of the YouTube videos and you will see why I wanted a smoothbore.