Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Choosing one caliber and 3 guns to go with it

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I assumed the unlimited supply ammo included an ammo humper.:smiley_confused_vra

rotflmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It would be a toss up for me between 12 gauge and .22, but I would say that it would probably be the .22. I've had a chance to shoot my Chiappa mfour 22 with the TruGlo reflex sight a few times now and it is one bad machine when it comes to rate of fire. I grew up with a Rugar Mark II pistol that is accurate as hell and easy to carry. I'd also set myself up with a Ruger 10/22 to be my sniper rifle. It would be hard to beat those three in regards to putting food on the table, killing zombies, or just protecting the homestead...

Gordo

Athens County
Looks like you guys are right with the 22.

I read up alot last night while googling to see if there is any kind of tactical weapon(semi auto) that shoots more of a pistol round. Specifically was lookin for 357, and came up empty.

There was a lever action type deal but that was it.

Im 9mm i think highpoint makes some sort of semi auto rifle.

Also read about how there is a 9mm upper for an AR?

Not too suprised that they dont exist as the market would be limited, but i think itd b bad ass simply for the reason of only having to stock pile one kind of ammunition

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I read up alot last night while googling to see if there is any kind of tactical weapon(semi auto) that shoots more of a pistol round. Specifically was lookin for 357, and came up empty.

Not too suprised that they dont exist as the market would be limited, but i think itd b bad ass simply for the reason of only having to stock pile one kind of ammunition

Kel-tec makes a sub 2000 in 9mm or 40.

Not what I would consider a long term option. Very cool gun but I don't think it would stand the durability test if pressed into years of zombie service. You might get 5,000 rounds out of it before you start having problems.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The question you are asking is a lot more difficult to answer than just one caliber of firearm. Because of that I have a couple of different answers and some thoughts.

My initial response was a .44 mag/special. This would give you a .44 snub for self defense, a .44 pistol with longer barrel for home defense/hunting and a 44 mag lever action for hunting. It would make a good survival set up as well. Downside is that they are not common guns to pick up.

If you are are really talking a SHTF scenario where we are talking a breakdown of society to the point we are back in the late 1800s type atmosphere then I have different thoughts.

.22LR - great caliber and you can carry a lot of ammo on you for it. The mere presence of a firearm is usually enough to deter someone for self defense but NOT a self defense round I would count on if you had to use it. A rifle in this caliber can be used to not only take any game that walks here in Ohio but generally anywhere in the CONUS with a well placed (head) shot. Also, its such a common round that it should remain available through scavenging etc in a true TEOTWAKI scenario. If you are skilled with a .22 rifle you could easily keep someone's head down with accurate fire out to at least 100 yards if practiced for defensive purposes.

Shotgun - great option and needs to be a part of a survival scenario as it can not only be a very good close quarters defensive weapon but also allows for hunting via either shot or slugs. Downside is weight of the rounds in comparison to .22LR.

Rifle for longer distance hunting/defensive use - I would lean towards a military caliber such as 5.56 or 7.62 because of availability of ammo in a true breakdown of society situation. A 7mmmag is a great gun until you have to figure out how to feed it...and normally (except in these unusual times there is plenty of military caliber ammo on store shelves). Everything with this will be a give and take as 5.56 can be set up for great close up defensive use but lacks power as you get past 400 yards, whereas 7.62x51 rifles are not as easy to use in a close quarters situation but definitely can be used defensively past 600 yards or longer if you have the set up and the ability.

Pistols I would consider in a similar light. Stay with military calibers if possible. You also get into the semiauto vs wheelgun debate. Wheelguns are much more reliable as they have less parts but when they have an issue its a very catostrophic new pistol type of failure. Semiautos can breakdown in other areas and have more issues in general but a failure with them is usually not a catastrophic failure of the entire pistol. Magazines and pieces which wear out (slide springs, etc) will be the pieces to also stock up on.

With unlimited funds and unlimited ammo how I would want to be outfitted would also depend on how I planned on making it through TEOTWAKI scenario. Am I mobile and moving around? Am I staying in one location and defending it at all costs?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Have you handled one of those joe? Or anyone?

That one was mine. I sold it about 6 months ago to another member.. I like the gun and it was a blast to shoot. It's molded polymer and standard plastic. Fun gun to shoot and was really accurate. If it was built on a more durable frame designed for tactical longevity I would have kept it..

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

Highpoint and Keltec both make carbines that can be run on multiple magazine platforms (glock, sig, or proprietary). If I was a glock guy one of those might appeal to me in a limited function. Marlin also makes one called the camp carbine. Good luck finding any of those, or if you do be prepared to pay through the nose for them regardless of the manufacturer.

However those bullets (9mm and 40sw) do increase velocity in the carbine form but still have nothing on most centerfire rifle rounds.

The AR conversions all appear to be pretty finicky based upon what I've read on the interwebs. I know they are not cheap either. There was a thread I read about it being a cheaper and more reliable option to buy a 10/22 and set it up with tech sites for an Appleseed than get a .22 conversion for an existing AR.

Gordo

Athens County
Ive been intrigued bu the kel tec since you all mentioned it and havr been sourcing them out.

My question is this. Are 32 round magazines legal in ohio? Alot of folks are bundling them with that gun and im trying to figure if it would be 'legal' for them to ship.

Thanks in advance

Highpoint and Keltec both make carbines that can be run on multiple magazine platforms (glock, sig, or proprietary). If I was a glock guy one of those might appeal to me in a limited function. Marlin also makes one called the camp carbine. Good luck finding any of those, or if you do be prepared to pay through the nose for them regardless of the manufacturer.

To my knowledge the Hi-point carbines do NOT take multiple magazine platforms.Maybe they are doing something I dont know about for 2013 though.They do make aftermarket high capacity mags for them though...In my experience the factory 10rd mags performed flawlessly(and only cost 17$ shipped),the few aftermarket ones tried did not..Speaking of these rifles,I am getting ready to pick up another one...

Wallens05

Ive been intrigued bu the kel tec since you all mentioned it and havr been sourcing them out.

My question is this. Are 32 round magazines legal in ohio? Alot of folks are bundling them with that gun and im trying to figure if it would be 'legal' for them to ship.

Thanks in advance

To my knowledge there legal to have like he said,but the legal usage mag it 31 rds in Ohio I believe

Steven