Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clover mowed!

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Finally got my three clover plots mowed. And about at the right time because the ragweed was starting to really come alive. It's amazing how in mid june you can have a nice lush plot and then by august the weeds just explode. Hopefully by mowing now (mid aug) I don't have to worry about too many more weed issues come season.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
nope you wont darron (worry about the weeds) this is the end of the weed growing season. did you spray it at all?

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
nope you wont darron (worry about the weeds) this is the end of the weed growing season. did you spray it at all?

I assume when you mean spray you are talking about grass and broadleaf specific killers? If so, then no. I do have them, but thought since I mowed so late in the summer why spend the time and money spraying (thinking just by mowing it will set back the weeds so the clover can come out running this fall). I hope to hit them with some clethodim and butyrac next june to get a jump on the weeds.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
We generally only spray when we get an infestation of ragweed..that stuff sucks bad. did ya fertilizer too or are you waiting. we are gonna hit ours again on sept 1st

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
We generally only spray when we get an infestation of ragweed..that stuff sucks bad. did ya fertilizer too or are you waiting. we are gonna hit ours again on sept 1st

I had rag weed pretty bad in one of my plots. Hopefully mowing will set it back enough to where I can spray it next spring while it is young.

I plan on fertilizing towards the end of this month. What fert do you use? I usually use a low N like 6-23-23, but some people swear by putting on something high in N on their clover like 19-19-19. I just hate to put down too much N because the weeds love it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ancient chinese secret....(we use whatever we have left:smiley_boogie:) we buy all ours early so at the end of the year its whatever we got left..at the end of the season we don't worry too much about weeds. they don't have enough time to develop seed heads