Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clover pics

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Below are some pics of a 1/4 acre clover plot that was planted last fall to oats, rye and clover. I also frost seeded clover in here this past March. The soil is by no means great on this plot and before a food plot it was just over grown with weeds. When I purchased this parcel I went in that winter and broadcasted 300-400# of pellt lime on this plot to sweeten it up. That's the only lime I have put down on it so far. I was surprised how well the rye helped me out on the weeds. Although I do have some growing, it's by no means taking over. I plan to leave this in a perennial plot for a couple more years by spraying selective herbicides, frost seeding and mowing.

Pic of clover....

Good clover.....

Clover when no rain....notice the leaves turning brown.....they will bounce back

Remember, this can be done through normal tillage or through the no till overseeding method(see other post). This plot is a mix of mammoth red clover, alice white clover, jumbo ladino clover and kopo II white clover. By frost seeding every March I incorporate new clover to the plot and fill in bare areas. Use mowing or select herbicide to knock down competitive weeds. Some weeds in the plot is fine. I don't get bent out of shape as long as they don't start competiting with the entire plot.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
That's a damn good looking patch, Darron. Doesn't get much better than that...

It will look even better once I mow it towards the middle of this month. Always mow/fertilize your clover plots about a 30-45 days before the bow opener to encourage fresh growth. The deer will like you for it!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It will look even better once I mow it towards the middle of this month. Always mow/fertilize your clover plots about a 30-45 days before the bow opener to encourage fresh growth. The deer will like you for it!

When you're applying your fertilizer, do you have any troubles with it burning the plants? Also, what formulation of fertilizer would you recommend for throwing down on clover?

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
When you're applying your fertilizer, do you have any troubles with it burning the plants? Also, what formulation of fertilizer would you recommend for throwing down on clover?

When fertilizing clover I go with something low in N. My local mill has 6-24-24 so I use that. No need to put down a lot of N because one the clover makes it's own and two it encourages weed growth.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Looks great. I agree that the rye is great for keeping weeds out and planting the clover in the fall also helps reduce weed competition too.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Looking at the weather this weekend doesn't seem like a bad time to mow clover, especially sunday. Rain all day Saturday and then starting Sunday it is suppose to coll down with highs only in the low 80's and lows in the 60's with a chance of rain several days next week. I might bight the bullet and head down and knock it out. I usually like to wait until mid-to late august, but this cool down is nice for mowing clover.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I sure hope the rain holds off until the p.m. on saturday.... At least give me enough time to get my brassicas in the ground!