Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CO 2019 update

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well so far its been a tough hunt. The last two days have been on public land. There are a LOT of hunters but interestingly enough the area swallows them up and we have only seen a few in the field.

The elk and deer movement has been just about non existent, at least in the woods. Sunday night I almost hit a legit 180 class muley with my truck. Last night I almost hit a 200 class buck. The only time we are seeing deer is in the evening as we drive out.

The current hunters on the ranch are doing good. The lady shot a 5x5 yesterday and a 140 class muley today. Her husband has an elk tag and tomorrow to get it done. We have the ranch starting wednesday and there are supposed to be some nice elk and muleys around.

Thats it for now.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
10600 ft

20191022_084300.jpg

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This morning we hunted some higher elevation at 10600. It was pretty tough to hike up there as we were gasping for air... lol we only hunted it until 11 am. We didnt see any elk but we did jump a big muley.

This afternoon we hunted the landlocked public land behind the ranch. Still no elk sightings but I missed a nice muley. He was 550 yards, up hill, and I had a crappy rest. I didnt miss him by much though. I shot just a few inches low.

Tomorrow we have the ranch!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This morning I had a stalk on a 180 class, but I jumped two bucks I didnt see and of course they took him with them. My friend missed an ok muley.

This evening we had a lesson on how the shadows can make a buck look smaller than he really is. We had two nice bucks but we didnt think they were that big. When the sun set we realized that wasnt the case but it was to late to put on a stalk. We finally saw elk. We had 5 cows on the rach but no bulls. About a mile down the road there was a herd of 20+ with one wall hanger bull.

Tomorrow should be a good day.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This morning was a lot of fun. The elk herd we left last night grew from 5 to 10 and had a legal bull. We made stalk for him but couldnt get less than 600 yards. We didnt spook the elk so hopefully theyll be back tonight.

We saw a few doe, but no bucks this morning
Last night a coyote killed a fawn so we think that may have shook things up.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Tonight was slow and boring until 20 min before the end of legal shooting time. A herd of 15 to 20 ame out of the oak brush and started to make their way to the field. By the time they got there it was too late.

The elk are stating to pour in the area. My friend got a stock on a 6x6 but got busted by a cow. He was part of a 80 elk herd.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
The elk I left last night were still in the same field at day break. They had moved up a few hundred yards and were in a great spot for a shot.

Well mistake 1 was driving the atvs down to the main ranch house. I suggested walking but everyone else seemed to agree that riding down would be ok. By the time we got there the elk were at the far end of the field about 500 yards. I set up for the shot and couldnt find them. My friend kept telling me they were by the oak brush, but there is oak brush EVERY WHERE!

By the time I was on them they were 600+ and moving on. Im sitting the field again tonight.

We are starting to feel the pressure. We have 2.5 days left and its just getting tougher. I kinda wished we had not hunted the public land first. That makes it seem worse.

Hopefully this afternoon is better.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This afternoon I sat the same spot I hunted last night. Around 6 pm muley doe started pouring into the field. Then I saw a cow elk walk between some oak brush. 20 min later the herd apeared about 600 yards in front of me. I counted 10 cows and one bull elk. The bull stopped at 500, trigger pulled. I literally overshot him by millimeters. He takes off, i miss twice, then he stops at 600, I nailed him. I normally only load three rounds but call it divine intervention but something told me to put another round in the mag.

Literally at the same time my fiend killed and elk. He was a 1/4 mile or more away. It was so close that niether heard the other shoot.

This is my first elk. It took 6 trips to finally pull it off. He isnt a biggen, but I dont care. The curse is lifted.

Ww both have muley tags and 2 more days to hunt.

Attachments

• 20191025_190419.jpg
    20191025_190419.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 20191025_201329.jpg
    20191025_201329.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 451

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Thanks!

This morning we spent cutting up elk. We are headed out this evening for muleys. When I was shooting at my bull I guess a 200 inch muley getting ready to enter the opposite end of the field. My friend is hunting there tonught. Im hiking into the national forest.