Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CO unit 77 second rifle elk and deer hunt

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I'm headed back to CO in October. I'm going out with a friend from Johnstown for the second rifle season. Elk tags are OTC and I have enough points to draw a mule deer tag.

I submitted my deer tag application yesterday.

We will be hunting the same ranch/NF that I went to in 2016 for archery season. It's not a guided hunt, but we are paying an access fee and also includes lodging. In 2017 the same friend I'm going with killed a 280-300 inch bull. Last year they killed a 300 and 330 class bull. They also have taken some 180+ class mule deer too. During my last hunt I saw some REALLY nice mule deer.

Anyway, hopefully this is the trip to break my elk curse. LOL

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good luck buddy. With me being back to zero points in AZ next year I may hit you up for Co advice. My bucket list is a booner muley.

Bigcountry40

Good luck buddy. With me being back to zero points in AZ next year I may hit you up for Co advice. My bucket list is a booner muley.
Colorado just changed their fees and regulations, to apply for a big game license or JUST PREFERENCE POINTS you have to buy a small game license,

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I took my Model 700 SPS 300 WSM out to the local range on Sunday. It is zeroed at 200 using 150 gr Winchester Balistic Silvertips. With this round I get 50 cent piece groups that expand out to eight inches at 700 yards. 150 gr is light for elk so I tried some Barnes Vortx 165 gr. This round is solid copper and is supposed to be a hard hitter, but it shoots like ASS out of my gun. 200 yards I'm shooting six inch groups off a led sled. I also noticed that the barrel gets much hotter and faster. To get that grouping I had to let the barrel cool down otherwise it starts pulling hard to the right. The Vortx ballistic coefficient is different than the Ballistic Silver Tip and it is slightly faster.

I'm gonna have to try some new ammo, but the bad part is 300 WSM ain't cheap! Everyone I have talked to has recommended an accubond round. Winchester makes one in 180 grain that has the same ballistic coefficient as the Nosler brand, but about $10 cheaper per box.

I'm headed to Johnstown tomorrow and will pick some up at Cabelas. I'm pretty sure they don't have the Winchester, but I have seen the Nosler on their shelf. I'm helping a friend sight in his rifle with his new Vortex Crossfire II and giving him some marksmanship pointers on Saturday.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I wouldn’t use a ballistic type Bullet. I’ve had friends that used them and lost a few deer, only to find it a mile away weeks latter. I shoot federal a cumins and recently bought the nosler. I use 165 grn. Shoots very well in my xbolt. Try a different brand Bullet. You can have the same two rifles and they will like different bullets. Good luck, your doing a bucket list trip for me.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I have never had a problem with ballistic tips. I shoot 150 gn Hornady SSTs out of my 300 win mag. Nothing I've ever shot with them has gone farther than 20 yards, and Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail.

150s are light for elk. I would just step up to a 180 and see how that shoots.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Screenshot_20190913-100728_Final Countdown.jpg

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Shooting update.

I ordered a box of 180 gr Winchester Expedition Accubond CT from Sportsmans Guide. MAJOR difference in performance. I am not shooting 1/2 inch groups (with a cool barrel) at 200. I should be GTG now.

Also when the barrel is hot the groups open up to four to five inches and pull to the right.

I went to order some more from Sportsmans Guide, but they were sold out!!!! Luckily I found some more from another vendor for $35 a box. I bought three. I guess Winchester doesn't make them anymore.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I took my Model 700 SPS 300 WSM out to the local range on Sunday. It is zeroed at 200 using 150 gr Winchester Balistic Silvertips. With this round I get 50 cent piece groups that expand out to eight inches at 700 yards. 150 gr is light for elk so I tried some Barnes Vortx 165 gr. This round is solid copper and is supposed to be a hard hitter, but it shoots like ASS out of my gun. 200 yards I'm shooting six inch groups off a led sled. I also noticed that the barrel gets much hotter and faster. To get that grouping I had to let the barrel cool down otherwise it starts pulling hard to the right. The Vortx ballistic coefficient is different than the Ballistic Silver Tip and it is slightly faster.

I'm gonna have to try some new ammo, but the bad part is 300 WSM ain't cheap! Everyone I have talked to has recommended an accubond round. Winchester makes one in 180 grain that has the same ballistic coefficient as the Nosler brand, but about $10 cheaper per box.

I'm headed to Johnstown tomorrow and will pick some up at Cabelas. I'm pretty sure they don't have the Winchester, but I have seen the Nosler on their shelf. I'm helping a friend sight in his rifle with his new Vortex Crossfire II and giving him some marksmanship pointers on Saturday.

Check the barrel when its hot to see if it is free floating from the stock - slide a dollar bill down between the barrel and stock

Reactions: "J"

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Well i think the model is bedded with aluminum pillars and has a free floating barrel - i would check that out - might be a accuracy
problem if uneven pressure on barrel - not sure about that model

Last edited: