Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the kind words, Greg! I have every intention of toting that bow to the woods often. There are few things more shameful than a bow with dust on ‘em. For now, it’s not collecting any. 😁. The thing shoots like a dream. I don’t always do everything right but Donnie’s bow have often covered up my shortcomings. This one is no exception.

Creamer

Athens
Yesterday's cold shot cut black.

At the end, I tried to tic-tac-toe. As the great philosopher, Dr. Loaf, once said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Creamer

Athens
I was on vacation for a week. For not having shot for that long, the cold shot from 18 wasn't that bad.

As you may have noticed, I made a few modifications to the new 45lb limbs on the Sage. These little OMP string groove silencers definitely made a difference on noise/vibration.

And obviously some aesthetic mods were made to the basic black limbs. Fitting the Limbsations over the limb bolt area was a real pain in the ass. If you look close enough you see it's far from a perfect job, but good enough. These are "copperhead brown."

Last 3 last night.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Shot a few today..that should do it..really liking the leather tabs..alot kinder to my fingers than the thin calf hair ones I been using..getting them broke in pretty good.
Little over 2 months and I will be in Wyoming hunting Mule Deer. Didn't draw an antelope tag but may be able to get a leftover one in another unit close to where we will be hunting. Drew a Muley and turkey tag.
20220629_135000.jpg
20220629_135006.jpg
20220629_135326.jpg
20220629_135022.jpg

Creamer

Athens
I may end up trying one some day. I'm hooked on the Black Widow tabs. I've got a couple of the super leather versions and one cordovan I usually use.

Creamer

Athens
I've zeroed in on a couple of things that seem to make a big difference for me. I'm working to make sure I pay attention to these things every shot, because when I do, good things have been happening.

Granted, I am self-taught, so I could be wrong. The two things I have been trying to focus on the most are my hook/grip on the string and my elbow position. It's hard to explain but I'm trying to get my wrist (more bent inwards than outwards during the draw) and hand in a more powerful position, really hooking the string. Tom Clum talks about the bent wrist a lot in his hook videos and it makes a difference for me. The elbow, I had self filmed a few weeks ago and felt like my elbow was getting a little high at full draw. I'm consciously trying to keep the elbow lower at full draw and I feel like that's leading me to a better release position. I may be talking completely out my ass, but those two things seem to be helping me a lot right now.