Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Colorado Elk

Bigcountry40

This past January my Uncle died (Mom's brother) who got me into hunting, I have had the intentions of creating a thread in honor of him and to include a few pictures of him and I hunting with our deer etc. I just haven't done it because it really has never hit me that he's gone. He got covid shortly after I did (he was double vaccinated) and just slowly went down hill. There was no funeral no celebration of life, my aunt is still in complete shock over the situation. I started hunting with him when I was 16 and credit him and his buddies with drinking my first beer, killing my first deer and doing shots in a small Loudonville hole in the wall bar as a teenager, his buddies quickly became quasi uncles. My uncle, his best friend and I had always planned to hunt out west together but they kept on putting it off and never found the time. The day my uncle died I met his best friend at the local bar in the small town I am from and he said "we never went on that western hunt with Ted, I need to start making time, find a hunt and make it happen". I immediately started researching first looking at Idaho special draw hunts (spoke to a regional biologist who suggested I looked else where), then mule deer in Nebraska and some other places, I finally came back to Colorado where I have had success in the past. After researching for a couple of weeks and speaking to Colorado Parks and Wildlife personnel, my uncles best friend, another good friend of mine who is a hardworking successful hunter and myself have put in for Unit 22 -1st rifle bull tags with OTC bear tags, according to the Colorado Parks guy we should draw with 0 preference points. I am hoping my aunt will allow me to use my uncle's .270 and I can successfully harvest a bear or bull elk with it in his honor.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sorry to hear about your uncle. Hearing you describe your first beer, first shot and first deer brought a smile to my face, as we can all think back to our first times. I think a thread for your uncles past hunts, or even a thread for all to post pics and stories from past hunts with family and friends who are no longer with us is a great idea. It would be enjoyable to see some old hunting pics with the stories behind them. Looking forward to following along on your upcoming hunt.

Bigcountry40

Just got this in the mail today.

Attachments

• D9DE30A8-B271-4B52-90C9-45BF163C4D07.jpeg
    D9DE30A8-B271-4B52-90C9-45BF163C4D07.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

P8riot

Carbon, In
Sweet bud! That .270 should be able to take a bull. Might be on the lower end. Just get the shot placement you need. Everyone is all about .30 these days. 300 WSM, etc.

My uncle was vaccinated and for whatever reason, ended up taking his own life. Vietnam Vet. I inherited an M1 Garand and a 30-30. Cleaning both of those old rifles oddly brought me some peace.

The healing process is yours and doesnt need to make sense to anyone else. Enjoy and God Speed brother.