Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Comments? Anybody own a Knight muzzleloader?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Told my dealer I was looking for a starter muzzy and to keep an eye out for me, he suggested T/C and Knight. Then he calls back and tells me about another dealer who's got a special on Knight Wolverines (now that's a good guy...steering me to a better deal, told me to buy a scope or supplies from him).

So, anybody got anything to say from experience about Knight?
Ok, ok, hearsay accepted too....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I had one of the first Knights with the DISC and it was a shooter. I am a huge T/C fan though. Funny thing is I have owned many muzzies and still end up with my T/C Thunderhawk. Darn thing is a tack driver. Never seen another muzzy do so well.

Beentown

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dan, I have the wolverine and the bighorn, both a very accurate guns and have never had any issues with either one. I wouldn't hesistate to buy another one if the deal was right... and needed to replace one... But my son might get a little upset since he kind of confiscated my wolverine lol. Put a good scope on it and experiment with the powder charge.. The wolverine like select at 90 grains and the bihorn likes select pellets at 100 grains.

rrr

Never shot a Knight...

My experiences with smokepoles consist of a TC Black Diamond - great gun, loaned it from my uncle. My Remington Genesis, which still needs some work and a scope, but is a tack driver close up, I just need to get the load figured out right and back it up a little bit...and one of those custom Hawkins, which was a hoot to hunt with but its so damn heavy!

Any Black Diamond would be used, but they are great guns. And they don't make the Genesis anymore, but again - all good. I think they are actually a Traditions gun (could be wrong)

Regardless, if this is your first smokepole, have fun! They are a little scary in my mind, sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around shoving all the stuff down the barrel and boom! But a heck of a lot of fun to shoot! They are a big bang, small kick (unless you are shooting upwards of 100 grains), and a cloud of smoke to swim through to see if ya shot anything. Love it. Just be wary - cold fingers...cold fingers - there's no way to get around it!

Also - the most important tip I can give you come season is that once you load your gun and it is cold - let it stay cold. Do NOT bring it back into the house with the load still in it - just take the primer off and put it in the garage or lock it in the truck for the night. They condensate and then things don't work like they are suppose to - ask that doe a few years ago who had a primer fired in her direction at 20 yards but no bullet! Lesson learned and this past year I had my gun loaded for two days and then discharged it without a problem and then the new load fired when I needed it TOO (I just can't hit the broadside of a barn, or a deer)

JPN

coshocton
My dad and I both have Knight disc extremes. We have not had any problems with them and they shoot great, very accurate.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Get a Red Ryder BB Gun Dan and work your way up, lol. Congrat's on your purchase..........( have some inside information Dan bought it ).

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had I not bought the TC Omega, I was strongly considering a Knight. My research showed they were very accurate and I read basically no complaints on them. The only skepticism was the fact they are not currently producing anymore. I wouldn't worry about it Dan. You should be very happy with it! 200+yd gun.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had I not bought the TC Omega, I was strongly considering a Knight. My research showed they were very accurate and I read basically no complaints on them. The only skepticism was the fact they are not currently producing anymore. I wouldn't worry about it Dan. You should be very happy with it! 200+yd gun.

They are back in bussiness from my understanding and producing in Kentucky if I remeber right...

UPDATE: Yep they are producing but in Tennessee... http://www.knightrifles.com/home.php

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dan, did your's come with the 209 primer kit in it or the #11 cap??? If it didn't have the 209 kit I would highly recommend it. It tightened my grouping up out at a 100+ yards not so much on the 50 and under groupings...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Yep, brand new in the box for $149...it takes the 209 primer...I watched the video last nite and I'm looking forward to trying it out later in the month. My FFL dealer (guy who does it on the side working out of his house), I'm gonna have him get a scope for me and help me setup/sight in. When I was at Olde English (where I bought it) the guy told me that they bought as much of Knight's stock as they could and all their parts when they went out of business...but he didn't know that they were back in business. I'm pretty happy right now - if I'm comfortable with it by gun season I'm gonna use it at one farm where I can set up for a longer shot opportunity, not gonna wait for muzzy season.

I've been engrossed with archery, but I'm starting to get excited about gun season....:smiley_cheer:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
... Didn't see that purchase coming. :smiley_cigar:

Not.;)

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I leave mine in the garage the night before and then load it so its already cold. This way there is no cooling/condensation taking place after charging it w/ powder and ball.

Welcome to the muzzle loader world Dan... Lock, Stock and Barrel :smiley_crazy:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dan, you'll notice the 209 kit will fire more like a rifle then a muzzleloader if you've ever shot the #11 caps on a muzzleloader... You can bore site it pretty easy to get it close by removing the breech plug and site it on a target out about 25 yards when the gun barrel is directly centered on the bullseye (I put it in a vise) adjust the scope to the bullseye or a inch or two higher. This has always worked well for me and cut down on the time of getting it on target... Post your results...